Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I ride In California with Rinehart Tru Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ernster500
Somewhere in the california vehicle code it says it is illegal to "modify" any exhaust. So, in essence, every aftermarket exhaust is illegal here. Keep in mind that the CARB contradicts the vehicle code when they "approve" aftermarket performance parts, but, they strictly deal with pollution controlled vehicles. So, double whammy because Rinehart is warning you about SMOG rules as opposed to noise or anything else (no cats).

So, if the cop wants to cite you and you don't have stock mufflers, yeah, you are getting a ticket....

The day after CA starts smog testing bikes is the day I will be on the interstate out of this God - forsaken place that calls themselves a state...
Put your house on the market!!! It's on the books and on it's way to a neighborhood near you. Wave as you leave.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
deepbluerider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The day after having my engine bumped to95" and cams put in I got pulled over on the way to my folks house in RPV.Was doing the speed limit and not being a idiot,I have rinehart true duals,got a ticket for noise and helmet. I looked up the fines $25 each no big deal.I got the fine in the mail about a week later $359.Luckily my bil is a cop signed off on the noise and I bought a DOT helmet.Went and paid the $50. Just bought some hard kore baffles to take the edge off the pipe in order to lay low,will see how they work.One of the cops kept saying "you harley guys" he must have a chip on his shoulder about riders. So yeah some areas do mess with bikers

Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Put your house on the market!!! It's on the books and on it's way to a neighborhood near you. Wave as you leave.
OK. Maybe not the day after, but, soon after! I'll save my wave until I get to the Great State of Texas and wave from the hills of Austin...

God Bless Texas!

E

Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ernster500
OK. Maybe not the day after, but, soon after! I'll save my wave until I get to the Great State of Texas and wave from the hills of Austin...

God Bless Texas!

E

shhhh!! not so loud. we wouldn't want just anyone coming here.... j/k

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's on the books and on it's way to a neighborhood near you. .
Are you talking about Senate bill 435? Because that bill was amended to take out the actual emissions testing. It will still be illegal to modify a stock exhaust, but bikes still do not need to be smogged...yet

Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by despurlock
I recently put a set of Tru Duals on my 08 Ultra and was on Rinehart's website browsing around. I see posted all over the place that they are not legal in California. Whats the story? I can't beleive there aren't any Californians without Rinharts. Do the cops hassle alot of people there and are there any other states to watch out for? Just curious since I have never been to California but thought I may make the trip someday. Guess I can take it or leave it.

Dave
I remember reading the same crap when I bought my Rinehart TDs. I got a little irritated and then I remembered I had no intention of ever moving to the state…

My OL always talks about wanting to move there and I always need to reminder her that she will be alone.

Aren’t they trying to split Kalifornia up and create a 51st state?

BTW, I do like the sound of my TDs...

Last edited by MADHOG; 07-19-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Are you talking about Senate bill 435? Because that bill was amended to take out the actual emissions testing. It will still be illegal to modify a stock exhaust, but bikes still do not need to be smogged...yet
No I was just giving a guy that hates California a reason to leave a little sooner!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No I was just giving a guy that hates California a reason to leave a little sooner!
lol. Spent the first 34 years of my life in Ca and the last 4 away. Cant wait to move back.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

like everyone said behave your self you will be fine CA isn't really that bad yet.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
lol. Spent the first 34 years of my life in Ca and the last 4 away. Cant wait to move back.
My sis and 2 niece's and 1 nephew live in the tri-cities and prosser area, my sisters oldest girl grew webbed feet so she moved to seattle.

Quick Reply: Can I ride In California with Rinehart Tru Duals?