Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I ride In California with Rinehart Tru Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i ran CFRs straight fishtails staggerd 40 inch pipes u name it and no cop has ever stopped me for loud exhaust. they stopped me for other things but never pipes.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

California is a great place for riding. The cops really don't hassle you for stuff like Your pipes in my experience. Come ride and enjoy.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 AM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone has said, as long as your not doing something stupid, you get a lot of respect from the leo's out here. As a matter of fact I had a couple of thumbs up the other day in traffic.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,912 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
There is one small town that I won't ride through and that is Coronado. it's an out of the way little snobby island and they hate harleys there. Otherwise I don't see you having any problems.

Everybody and their brother that owns a Harley out here has some sort of modified pipes. Most big city cops, Deputy Sheriffs, and the CHP don't have the time to be harassing riders for their exhaust. They're too busy doing other more important ****.

It's the small, rich, beach towns you have to look out for in California. They usually have their own little Gestapo police force, with plenty of Barney Fifes that have Napoleon complexes, and have nothing better to do than pull over some bikers and go fishing.

Places like Coronado, and Laguna Beach are prime examples of townships that don't care for loud Harleys, or anyone that might look suspect (read: club affiliations). If you roll through their little piece of heaven, and disturb the residents/tourists with your loud Harley, you're just begging the cops to make an example of you.

A small group of us were pulled over in Laguna Beach last year, and the cop asked my friend who was wearing a green flannel jacket if he was an associate of the Vagos MC. I mean, WTF?? "Uh...no sir, it just happens to be a green jacket." In instances like that, it's best to just bite your tongue, and go along, so that you can get the hell out of there without a fist full of citations.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:04 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't worry about Cal, however drive around Denver...they will write you up for noise with-in the city limits of Denver.
Esp with out of state plate!
This even made the news!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Only time you really have an issue (with loud pipes, apes, novelty helmet, whatever) is if you have a patch on your back, especially when your rollin' single.

They WILL find a reason to pull you over. Then you get documented.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 AM
Allenz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like Porterjet said in post #16, the loud pipe tickets are a city noise ordinance. I was riding through Independence, Ohio a small suburb of Cleveland. 12:30 P.M. afternoon. It was a 35 MPR business zone, bumper to bumper traffic, doing about 15 MPR in 5 lane traffic. Pulled over and received a ticket for excessive noise. After the fact it seems that the Mayor in this small town had been receiving a lot of complaints from the local citizens, complaining about loud motorcycles on a bike night that is sponsored by a Quaker Steak and Lube to the adjacent city. On that bike night they can get 4,000 bikes and a lot of them come roaring through the city at late hours. I spoke to the chief of police and he informed me that the mayor was hot on this issue and instructed the police dept. to enforce the local excessive noise ordinance. Sure enough they had an article in their local newspaper that month that stated the mayor heard the citizens complaints and they continued to site statistics on how many excessive noise tickets they issued. The Mayor was just looking to please his voters and get re-eleted. I did not get this ticket on bike night nor at noon at 15 MPH was I bothering anyone in bumper to bumper traffic through a business section. Just in the wrong place in the wrong time. It can happen anywhere in the country.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 AM
hksigman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
I have run some loud *** pipes here and have never even been puller over once for them. Speeding now that's a different subject. A lot of the cops around here ride Harleys and are Harley friendly. There is one small town that I won't ride through and that is Coronado. it's an out of the way little snobby island and they hate harleys there. Otherwise I don't see you having any problems.
Coronado has "lightened" up some
Rode from McPs with about 40-50 other bikes the sat before Memorial day to Rosecrans and then to Mt Soledad before returning to Coronado and food at Dannys. We had zero issues what so ever. we left McPs about 1130 am and returned about 330-4p....

I left the island about 630p to watch UFC....

As for Laguna Beach, I know in the spring/summer they set up cops with devices to check for "loud pipes" as people ride through.

But as everyone else has stated, dont ride like an "a-hole" and everything should be fine.....

I have Rhinehart true duals on my 05 roadking- that was the bike i was on that day in Coronado....

Old 07-19-2011, 07:05 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by despurlock
I recently put a set of Tru Duals on my 08 Ultra and was on Rinehart's website browsing around. I see posted all over the place that they are not legal in California. Whats the story? I can't beleive there aren't any Californians without Rinharts. Do the cops hassle alot of people there and are there any other states to watch out for? Just curious since I have never been to California but thought I may make the trip someday. Guess I can take it or leave it.

Dave
The great thing about Rineharts are. They are meow at idle and cruise. But sound awesome when you need to put that s&%t eaten grin back on your face.
Just be smart and respectful when needed!

Ride Safe.

YB

Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Like most members recommend - as long as you keep rpm's down while running through town LEO's shouldn't bother. Also, they probably can't do much if your bike's licensed in other state...hard to believe they'd deny riders @ border for loud pipes. Throwing away good tourism $$$.

Quick Reply: Can I ride In California with Rinehart Tru Duals?