Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I ride In California with Rinehart Tru Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere in the california vehicle code it says it is illegal to "modify" any exhaust. So, in essence, every aftermarket exhaust is illegal here. Keep in mind that the CARB contradicts the vehicle code when they "approve" aftermarket performance parts, but, they strictly deal with pollution controlled vehicles. So, double whammy because Rinehart is warning you about SMOG rules as opposed to noise or anything else (no cats).

So, if the cop wants to cite you and you don't have stock mufflers, yeah, you are getting a ticket....

The day after CA starts smog testing bikes is the day I will be on the interstate out of this God - forsaken place that calls themselves a state...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,329 Likes on 1,998 Posts

Heck, I left when they said I had to wear a helmet.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 PM
despurlock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
guess you'll have to take the car to Cali.
Not that interested in seeing the state.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime_ac
I have A 107" build, woods tw40844 cams, thundermax ecu, Arlen ness big sucker and rinehart true duals. COMPLETELY ILLEGAL. I live in Kalifornia and I have never been bothered about it. Cops around here seem to give us Harley guys a pass, they have better things to do.
I dare you to spend some time in Laguna Beach...

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the loudest pipes I have ever heard are on the police bikes in Oakland. Those cant be "legal" either

Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
porterjet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ernster started to say it, they are not legal on California registered bikes. Actually the EPA says the same thing. No modifying exhaust systems that have not been approved, the practical difference is the EPA has no police department working for them.
Noise tickets are almost always written by local cops under a city noise ordinance.
Come on out, just stay off the throttle in town.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have run some loud *** pipes here and have never even been puller over once for them. Speeding now that's a different subject. A lot of the cops around here ride Harleys and are Harley friendly. There is one small town that I won't ride through and that is Coronado. it's an out of the way little snobby island and they hate harleys there. Otherwise I don't see you having any problems.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Been through Laguna many times, no problem. V&H true duals w/ oval.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ernster500
Somewhere in the california vehicle code it says it is illegal to "modify" any exhaust. So, in essence, every aftermarket exhaust is illegal here. Keep in mind that the CARB contradicts the vehicle code when they "approve" aftermarket performance parts, but, they strictly deal with pollution controlled vehicles. So, double whammy because Rinehart is warning you about SMOG rules as opposed to noise or anything else (no cats).

So, if the cop wants to cite you and you don't have stock mufflers, yeah, you are getting a ticket....

The day after CA starts smog testing bikes is the day I will be on the interstate out of this God - forsaken place that calls themselves a state...

We in Arizona are not Left Wingers, but sht, we do have emission checks on Motorcycles in the Phoenix and Tuscon metro areas

Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 746 Posts

I lived in Los Angeles for 15 years, both my business partners were LEO's, one LAPD the other was Santa Barbra Sheriffs. Their attitude was 'they've got real crime to fight' and unless your acting the idiot and begging to be made an example of, they've got better things to do.

Quick Reply: Can I ride In California with Rinehart Tru Duals?