Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

thanx for the comments and support everyone, although I was hardly phased by what ironbutthead had to say. hopefully he's reading all your posts and learning a few things. it has really nothing to do with how many miles you ride. its the people, places and feelings you experience during the miles that count. I don't mean to get deep but a ride like this gives you alot of time to think and get to know yourself away from your usual routine. it's a real eye-opener. like when we rode down route 16 into yellowstone and across the rockies, man, I said to myself how can anyone ride thru here and not believe in some higher power. I felt so insignificant against those magnificant canyons and mountains. I feel sorry for people who will never see or experience that, and to do it on your horse, now that's living for me. think the bond between my bike and I got stronger??????
anyway, we found a few great rides if anyone is taking an upcoming trip and wants some suggestions.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think your ride was great me and my wife did a ride back in april of 2011 we rode from central calif to the gulf coast. corpus christy, texas we did it in 14 days and then on the way back stopped in laughlin nevada for the river run. i seen the most beautiful country that i have never seen befor and the best part we wernt in any hurry. and i had my best friend right along side of me through this whole trip like u said its the people you meet along the way and the new friends you meet as well. we are planing for next year but we want to do sturgis and go the east coast to see the vietnam wall sure hope everything works out and thanks for your post iam glad you had a great ride.
Rick

Old 07-19-2011, 09:53 AM
cantonrider
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the ride. I agree about taking the time ot think on the ride. I got back from a 1700 mile trip on Sunday....went to Chicago and Cleveland to visit friends and got to spend some time reflecting on life.

Heading out to Sturgis, Montana, etc. and leaving on 8/3. I'll be gone 17 days and have already booked the hotels so that I have a destination at the end of every day. Just not real concerned about which route I take to get there. There are a couple of 600 mile days, but most are around 300 miles.......

Glad you had a great time.........be sure and post pics when you can.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

here you go folks. just a sample of pics I have. enjoy.
1. route 16 from cody, wy to yellowstone.
2. the cali coast on PHC 1.
3. mountain road above Garberville, california.
4. rte 299 in humbolt county cali
5. the 3 of us, me on the far right, on rt 299 heading east to oregon.

Attached Thumbnails 6603-2011-07-01-10.05.47.jpg   6603-2011-07-04-11.47.41.jpg   6603-2011-07-04-15.00.29.jpg   6603-2011-07-06-18.19.17.jpg   6603-2011-07-07-11.07.35.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cantonrider
Congrats on the ride. I agree about taking the time ot think on the ride. I got back from a 1700 mile trip on Sunday....went to Chicago and Cleveland to visit friends and got to spend some time reflecting on life.

Heading out to Sturgis, Montana, etc. and leaving on 8/3. I'll be gone 17 days and have already booked the hotels so that I have a destination at the end of every day. Just not real concerned about which route I take to get there. There are a couple of 600 mile days, but most are around 300 miles.......

Glad you had a great time.........be sure and post pics when you can.
600 mile days are long days. good luck and watch the weather. storms come up quick and can be nasty.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 305 Likes on 96 Posts

Great pics! Your trip sounds awesome. Glad your back home safe.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I hope I can find the time to do a ride like this one day. I've ridden from Vegas to Portland, OR and back which is about 1000 miles each way and I really had a chance to let my mind relax and enjoy it. I did about 300 miles/day except the last leg home which was about 600.

Congratulations; I'm sure you're already planing the next one.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont mind my asking, what did u do for accommodations at night, camp or hotel/motel, and about how much did u spend on them? One of the reasons I would hesitate on trip like that is cost of accommodations for that many nights. I need a bed and shower every night!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Riff Raph
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your trip...very jealous as I can't take 24 days off but I really want to. Every year a couple of friends and I take a week to go somewhere...we have been to Florida, Mississippi, and we just got back from North Carolina...all about 2500-3000 round trip. Met a lot a great people. But most important is seeing this beautiful country without a windshield. I think we will head west or north next year for a change in scenery. Ride on brother.....

Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great trip.
I don't know what's more impressive to me: getting that much consecutive time off, or having a couple of buddies who could also do it. I likely won't be able to have that long (time) of a trip until retirement rolls around. Until then the further destinations require that I do longer days.
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Quick Reply: 6603