Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anti vibration hand grips for carpel tunnel in both hands?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Bought them on a whim for 1/2 price, sat in a box on the shelf for over a year. Finally put them in this spring and they work. No more numb buzzy feeling in my hands, even after riding all day.
Thanks I will give em a try soon.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have CTS in both wrists and am going for an EMG test on Thursday. I am hoping I can schedule the procedure for the winter so it does not interfere with riding time! Wrist splints at night were a godsend but during riding I can use the cruise (in certain situations of course) to switch hands off the bars to shake it out!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Bought them on a whim for 1/2 price, sat in a box on the shelf for over a year. Finally put them in this spring and they work. No more numb buzzy feeling in my hands, even after riding all day.
Still working?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
Still working?
still working fine, nothing really to go bad with them, just a counterweight with a rubber expansion mount inside the bar.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://moto.gripswell.com/

I use them and recommend them....

Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
http://moto.gripswell.com/

I use them and recommend them....
Nice lead on the gloves, I'd like to try them, unfortunately they are out of Large right now. I have used other gel vibe damping gloves and they do work well, I think they were Mechanix Impact.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Firetender
I am on my second set of HD Nostalgic grips, love 'em. That said, I have an issue with CTS due to my occupation involving repetitive motion. Rather than hanging up my lab coat, I attended a physical therapy session and had the therapist teach me the excercises that would best reduce my problem. I simply incorporated them into my weight-training at the gym, and now I just have to do three sets of 15 wrist curls using seperate 22.5, 25 and 27.5 pound bars. Voila! No more CTS. Your muscle injuries may be different, but some professional advice couldn't hurt, if you haven't already addressed this. Keep trying things, one or more are bound to help...
I agree with this. Build up your mucels by squeezing a tennis ball, or even something a little softer. Then do the stretches of your fingers to stretch the tendons. The CTS surgery works for the short term, but will come back. My father had both arms done surgically, and several other people I know. It will not last. If you are having problems, like I am, build up the mucels in you hands and forearms and do the stretches. It works! No surgery. Surgery only works short term. They cut the tendons, so they don't tighten up, which makes your wrist, hands, thumbs hurt bad. I know. I learned to do the exercises and stretches and no surgery. I'm 57 yr's old and if I do this, I feel better by far. The arthritis is another thing, but the CTS is better delt with other ways than surgery..

Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 AM
eviltwin69
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
This is but one of a couple of sources. I need to do something with mine soon, but it's really only bad in the winter

look here: http://www.vibranator.com/

aka Bob
Looking at these and wondering how they would work with TBW? Something to try on my Softail but probably wouldn't work on my SG.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:19 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,656 Likes on 1,078 Posts

I'm also doing what I can to avoid the surgery, but it's going to have to happen eventually. Get on the dirt bike, and in about 5 minutes, I don't feel my hands at all. I've gotten pretty darn good at riding without feeling the throttle clutch or brake levers.

Anyhow. I agree, handle bar position and angle are probably #1 on the bike. If it's not right, all the gee-gaws are band-aids. And not very effective band-aids. Look at your hands and forearms as you ride, are they bent or straight? Bent is aggravating, generally speaking.

I've also got to watch out for pushing on the bars. Be it cubital tunnel or Guyons canal, or both. But I'll frequently have my little finger and outside of my hand go numb as well, especially if I'm pushing on the bars.

Personally, I find fat thick grips helpfull, but some folk find skinnier more comfortable. But not squishy! If the grip is squishy I'll death grip it because I can't quite tell if I've got a secure grip on it or not. That aggravates it. A bit less padding and some tack that I can feel let me hold the grip more relaxed.

Target sells some cheap gel anti-vibe gloves over in their bicycle area. Cost like $12. Some day I've got to try them. Chainsaw stores also sell some very good anti-vibe gloves. I personally find gloves very difficult to deal with because I don't feel the grips in them, which cause me to death grip, which causes my hands to go completely numb, so I really death grip. It's a downward spiral for me. Though maybe painting the palms with rubber cement would help.

I've used things like the cramp buster throttle aid to help my throttle hand. It kinda helps. But I find it screws up my brake control and how I roll off the throttle for braking. I've also used various throttle grips with this built into them. Hard to set up right, and not all that effective, imo.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,129 Likes on 3,661 Posts

I don't know what they are called but i got the biggest rubber grips HD had and the cruise control...helps but i am intrigued by the bar ends....You can probably pick them up at a Metric shop or cycle gear...I am gonna look at these...i just got a cortizone shot in my right elbow and it helped my wrist...Ultimately i need CTS Surgery...

Quick Reply: anti vibration hand grips for carpel tunnel in both hands?