Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New stator, rotor, regulator and oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:23 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stator, rotor, regulator and oil cooler

Well, I replace my stator, rotor and regulator with Cycle Electrics parts this weekend. The stator grommet was leaking and I was planning on replacing the stator anyway because I wasn't too keen on the silicone fix idea and the rate of stator failures seems high, according to many posts here, so did the whole thing. Checked the site for pics of how to do the primary grind and it was easy - thanks to those that provided pictures of the areas needing grinding.

Used the stock compensator because mine is fine and although I will probably get ribbed for that, I have no problems with mine. The job was easy, really. I replaced the compensator bolt with a new one and used red locktite, which brings me to my first question: do you let the red locktite "cure" overnight like the tube says before you start the motor?

Based on what Cycle Electrics told me, I also replaced the HD oil cooler I had on the bike with a Jagg 10-row vertical mount cooler and their adapter. Cycle Electrics recommends against coolers that sit right in front of the regulator because apparently it causes heat issues with the regulator. A note for those doing something similar: if you go from another oil cooler adapter to the Jagg, you will need to pick up the stock HD oil filter adapter nipple because the one from your cooler adapter probably won't work. . Good luck finding it - not a single HD dealer in San Antonio and we have 4 that I know of, had it. The parts dude at Javelina HD will have it for me Thursday though so I'll have to live with that.

Anyway, thanks to all who provided how-to's, pictures, etc, that made the job much easier. I would post pics, but they look just like the ones others have posted...

Old 07-16-2011, 05:33 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an 07 and replaced the regulator after 1-1/2 years. On the 10 I have now the stator has already been replaced under warranty, I watched the mechanic while he did it, seemed simple enough. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be the first..............you will be sorry you did not replace the compensator with the heavy duty SE compensator while you were in there, what a difference in starting and shifting and no rattling at idle. If you have more than 500 miles on the stock compensator it is worn out. It is a bad design and HD replaces all the old style with the newer SE version.

Also the info about the oil cooler is a bunch of bull.

Last edited by SteveO; 07-16-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Well, there aren't any issues with the stock compensator as far as I am concerned. Put 40k miles on her so far and not a single issue except the starter bang, which is really not a big deal. So I am going with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. So the 500 mile thing is BS. If it shells in another 5k then maybe I'll believe you. As much as many designs are fu**ed up out of the factory, I still have some faith the engineers know a little bit about what they are doing.

The oil cooler info made perfect sense to me because my old one was right in front of the regulator - Cycle Electrics doesn't sell oil coolers so what would their motivation be to tell people this? No big deal, my bike, I do what I want.

dbell66253 - thanks, hope it works out too.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sargek
do you let the red locktite "cure" overnight like the tube says before you start the motor?
I would.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cudos to you for the DIY work...you save some money and learned a few things.

I found that the folks that sell Jagg coolers won't tell you that their claim of local heat radiation from an HD cooler is a non issue if you buy a 20 dollar electric fan kit which is sold on ebay. the fan kit mounts behind the HD cooler and it blows so much air it even keeps the regulator cooler than normal.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
cudos to you for the DIY work...you save some money and learned a few things.

I found that the folks that sell Jagg coolers won't tell you that their claim of local heat radiation from an HD cooler is a non issue if you buy a 20 dollar electric fan kit which is sold on ebay. the fan kit mounts behind the HD cooler and it blows so much air it even keeps the regulator cooler than normal.
Do you have a part number for this fan kit?

Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
I would.
Gonna be plenty dry by Thursday, which is when I get the oil filter adapter nipple in that I forgot to order...thx for the info, better safe than sorry!