Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Mechanics I need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts
Default OK Mechanics I need Help

Last week I installed my Stage 1 From Fuel Motto( which Works Awesome) but now my Cruise will stop working after the bike is warmed up.
I noticed that the vacuum hose on the Purge Solenoid was split when I was under the seat so I replaced the hose. I read my manual this morning and can't find out what the Purge Solenoid is for but that seems to be where my problem is.Is that part of the Cruise Control system, or what do you think I have disturbed under the seat to cause an intermittent problem with the cruise.
Thanks in advance for help.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

More specifics on bike and upgrades would be a great help!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Sorry about that It is a 2009 Ultraclassic stock except for the stage 1 which was the a/c powercommanderV and Jackpot dynotuned 3.5 muffs.
I do have an arnott air ride system and the compressor is right in front of the battery so I had to get pretty creative about where to put the inline connector for the ECM but I got it all in there but the purge solenoid was pretty cramped. I moved it this morning and went for a ride and the CC lasted longer but I can't imagine I did anything else under the seat that would cause this but things are pretty cramped in there. I don't understand what that Purge solenoid is.Oh Yea I forgot to mention that when the cruise quits working so does the 6th gear light.

Last edited by santajim; 07-16-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Old 07-16-2011, 05:03 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

nobody have any ideas

Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
Last week I installed my Stage 1 From Fuel Motto( which Works Awesome) but now my Cruise will stop working after the bike is warmed up.
I noticed that the vacuum hose on the Purge Solenoid was split when I was under the seat so I replaced the hose. I read my manual this morning and can't find out what the Purge Solenoid is for but that seems to be where my problem is.Is that part of the Cruise Control system, or what do you think I have disturbed under the seat to cause an intermittent problem with the cruise.
Don't think the purge solenoid is Your problem, as it is for emissions control. That fact that it is an 09, I would Carelully check the brake light switches. There have been a lot of problems with the rear switch melting and shorting out on the 09's. This will cause Your CC to cancel out. Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

We have seen a few cases where certain versions of PC-V firmware can affect the 6th gear light which will in turn affect the cruise control operation. Although this is pretty rare fortunately it is an easy fix, simply connect to the PC-V software, go to Power Commander Tools/Configure and turn off HD ECM data. You can also email me and I will send you a version of firmware that will take care of it as well. If you need any additional help just let me know

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 07-16-2011, 06:04 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since no one has popped back in, I'll throw out my .02. I'm sure the the 6th light going out and the cruise kicking off are being caused by the same electrical gremlin. Quite possible the wire carrying the signal for the 6th gear and speed signal are shorting out so you lose those two. There is a way to see what codes are being given for the cruise to quit, by pressing certain buttons in sequence to get the odometer to flash the code, you'll have to search the forum or one of the experts will throw it on here.

If you have the service manual, find out where the wire is coming out of the tranny and trace it for a lose connection or bare wire.

I lost the speedo, odo, horn, turn signals, brake light on my softtail. Found that the battery tender cord had worn and shorted on the frame. Now I have to find the short on my RG.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:16 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Hey Jamie if you are still there could you explain the fix a little more for me I think you hit the problem on the head.
Thanks
Jim

Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Hey Jamie if you are still there could you explain the fix a little more for me I think you hit the problem on the head.
Thanks
Jim
Download the PC-V software, connect the PC-V to the USB, open the softare, go to Power Commander Tools/Configure and uncheck the box that says "HD ECM DATA", and you will be all set

Quick Reply: OK Mechanics I need Help