Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you pack for Sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoy camping while on MC trips. I've got an Ultra, so plenty of room. Learned a few things on the last long trip.

I usually take 3 pairs of pants plus the pair I'm wearing. I HATE doing laundry, so I don't want to be doing it every other day. You can get 2 days out of each pair without stinking out the locals at your stops. Shirts...take throw away ones, then start wearing the new ones you buy. Underwear/socks can be throw away as you go, so that gets back some room. Take a roll of quarters with you...it got a little hard at places to get quarters, and the last thing I want to look for at a motel or campground when getting in late.

Easy to overpack. There's Walmarts everywhere, and most gas stations are big enough to carry some needed items, albeit expensive there. I take clothes, jacket, raingear, custom tool kit, small air compressor/tire repair kit, toiletries.

Since I like to camp, that means getting food. Very easy to overpack there too. Just stop on the way into the campground some place and get dinner/breakfast items. I find that eggs/bacon lasts just fine if you have a cooler overnight, and believe me, fellow campers will be more than happy to help you use up that dozen eggs and pound of bacon when you start cooking in the morning!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Route66rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been a lot of talk about camping here, but no mention of the "Rider's Rest" hammock by Mark at http://wiskybilt.com/store.html. It is a bit pricy, but I will have one the next time I camp while taking a road trip.