Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you pack for Sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 PM
b4u2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually have friends that haul our stuff up since the take a large camper. This year we are on our own so I'm hauling a small trailer I borrowed from a friend. I have a 2001 RK.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:24 PM
enzoultra
6th Gear
Default packing

Agree with MNPGRider. I tent camp with six other riders. Our annual trip takes roughly 2 weeks. We average around 3200 miles each trip. This year will be around 4400 miles from the Bay area to Vancouver Island, Ca to mainland Canada and drop down through the Dakotas to Sturgis. My wife packs 14 days worth of clothes for me as follows; 14 Zip lock bags each with a small bar of soap, 1/2 of an old towel, wash cloth, small hotel size shampoo, underware, long t-shirt, socks. Each morning I toss the towel, soap, wash cloth, underware and sometimes shampoo. This stuff fits in the saddlebags. The dirty clothes are put back in the Zip lock and returned to the saddlebag upside down so as not to confuse them with clean ones. Inside the tour pack are my shaving kit, 3/8 drive socket set, extra pair of Levis, sweat shirt, gloves, long underware, scarf, fabric face mask, air mattress, beanie, hats, flashlights and some other tools. Outside are the sleeping bag, tent, chair, bike cover, 1 fire log (mandatory), and really handy to get at, the rainsuit!. The pods and windshield pouches have tele charger, sun screen, bug spray, extra sun glasses, windshield wash, kleenex, camera with extra batteries and charger. Gees!! I am Walmart!!
Enzo

Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

If you staying in hotels all you need is toiletry and 3 days change of clothes, that's what I'm packing for my Sturgis trip no extra jeans but comfortable shoes and do laundry at the hotel.Depending on weather forecast may be some warm clothes but no doubt must pack rain gear, have it don't need it lot better then not having it. As for tools I only carry the tool kit came with the bike, but I always carry a very compact air compressor and can of fix flat in my saddlebag.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
husky
Banned

I have roll plastic bags I got from spacebag.com, they have a one way valve that lets the air out as you roll the up. They are less than half the size rolled up. I have synthetic underwear that washes out in the sink and dries in 2 hours. I have a jacket/boots that are waterproof. I only need waterproof pants for rain storms. I get everything in my saddlebags (street glide), I have a toolkit and tire plug kit and still have plenty of room.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys and gals that travel with only the pair of jeans that you are wearing, do you stand around the laundry with no pants while you wash them? I gotta take one extra pair.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
You guys and gals that travel with only the pair of jeans that you are wearing, do you stand around the laundry with no pants while you wash them? I gotta take one extra pair.
Jeans get better and more comfortable the more you wear them....I yell at my wife every time she washes them. Lol

Old 07-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I use the same stuff for backpacking as I do for a MC Trip. I pack two days worth of clothes and I use backpacking cloths because they are very comfortable, wash easy and dry fast. The real secret is that less is more. The less you have to pack and unpack the more fun you'll have.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:12 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ship the camping gear ahead of time, then there is plenty of room for personal items and clothes.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Thunderbolts
Advanced

All ideas mentioned here have good merits. Synthetic underwear does not work with me, I will chafe. That just me everyone is different. I would pay attention to the weather along your route and find out what it is doing. Right know in the midwest it is roasting outside. High 90's for a temp and humidity in the high 70's or 80's, that brings in the heat index to around 110 to 115 degrees. That combo also means instant thunderstorms can spring up anywhere they want to. You also will need lip balm and sun screen, this sun is brutal right now. What you forget to pack buy along the way. Pack light, pack prepared and enjoy the trip.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelm
Cash. And then, more cash.
+1, and a tooth brush.

Quick Reply: How do you pack for Sturgis?