Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong But if an amp is 4ohm out .. it really wants to go into 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel or 2 - 2 ohm speakers wired in series ...doesn't it ??

Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhincc
None. The speakers will get their signal lfrom the 4 ohm rated amp, and they're 4 ohm rated speakers. It doesn't matter what the head unit is rated at.

Ride safe!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Copyless
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tele00
Correct me if I'm wrong But if an amp is 4ohm out .. it really wants to go into 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel or 2 - 2 ohm speakers wired in series ...doesn't it ??
No, an amp wants to "see" the load it is designed to supply. The channels of the amp (each channel is a separate feed) determines the amount of speakers. Now if you have a two channel amp you could run two or more speakers per channel by using your calculations to determine the impedance of the load. Yes you could do the same with a four channel amp also.

Bottom line the amps only sees the load, as long as this is within it's parameters, it doesn't care what is out there to power. It could be 12 speakers wired in series then parallel together or vice versa, it doesn't matter. Like your theory, if you had a 2 channel amp for 4ohms only, you could parallel 2-4 ohm speakers then series this with two more in parallel, and this would allow you to hook up 8- 4ohm speakers to one two channel amp. This would be done mostly in cars with a very large amplifier, since bikes have limited space, but hopefully this doesn't confuse more than it helped.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Tele00
Tourer

Originally Posted by Copyless
No, an amp wants to "see" the load it is designed to supply. The channels of the amp (each channel is a separate feed) determines the amount of speakers. Now if you have a two channel amp you could run two or more speakers per channel by using your calculations to determine the impedance of the load. Yes you could do the same with a four channel amp also.

Bottom line the amps only sees the load, as long as this is within it's parameters, it doesn't care what is out there to power. It could be 12 speakers wired in series then parallel together or vice versa, it doesn't matter. Like your theory, if you had a 2 channel amp for 4ohms only, you could parallel 2-4 ohm speakers then series this with two more in parallel, and this would allow you to hook up 8- 4ohm speakers to one two channel amp. This would be done mostly in cars with a very large amplifier, since bikes have limited space, but hopefully this doesn't confuse more than it helped.
Ok ...see I'm omly familiar with guitar amp heads ( which are usually mono ) that are going out to a 2 or 4 speaker cab ... Thanks .

Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
HarleyguyUltra2011
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you can look into the JM audio system they have a Amp and Matching speakers

Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

almost getting to be like an oil thread...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM
jrcisu79
Tourer

Thanks for all the feedback, the reason I don't want to go with the J&M is because I can get the speakers and amp for $210 shipped. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage anything with this setup.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Wrong!

As already stated, the HK is only giving you a signal, as shtty as that may be using adaptors. But you are bypassing the amplifier section and only using the HK as a preamp.

At some point you would be well advised to buy an aftermarket deck with true preamp outputs. This will improve your sound for sure.

Shakey
Really?? Will it?? How much better sound will you get with the size speakers you have to work with? Sure, with audio measuring equipment, there will be an improvement but the human ear will never be able to tell it.

Is it worth the trade off of having a waterproof radio?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes I believe the improvement is worth it, even with lowly 6.5" speakers. Not to mention having an ipod interface built in. And the Biketronics splash guard works great.

Shakey

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrcisu79
Thanks for all the feedback, the reason I don't want to go with the J&M is because I can get the speakers and amp for $210 shipped. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage anything with this setup.
You getting 4 speakers and the Fosgate for $210?

Where?

Quick Reply: Audio question