Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife, myself, and 2 other couples are going to the Dragon on 8/10/2011. Saturday is the Dragon and Skyway, starting from the Pigeon Forge area and doing one large loop through Deals Gap, Robbinsville and stopping along the way at some POI's and up to Maryville HD and then back to Pigeon Forge. This is on all of our bucket lists, and our first time - hopefully no semi's, speedy crotch rockets, or fast cars going the other way hogging lanes.

On Sunday we want to go from the Pigeon Forge area to Maggie Valley to see the wheels through time museum... any suggestions on routes to/from, what also to see on Sunday that would take us by or through Maggie Valley and that area that is nice to see and ride? We also want to see some waterfalls - would love some suggestions.

I am looking into the ones already mentioned in this thread as well.

TIA

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior

My wife, myself, and 2 other couples are going to the Dragon on 8/10/2011. Saturday is the Dragon and Skyway, starting from the Pigeon Forge area and doing one large loop through Deals Gap, Robbinsville and stopping along the way at some POI's and up to Maryville HD and then back to Pigeon Forge. This is on all of our bucket lists, and our first time - hopefully no semi's, speedy crotch rockets, or fast cars going the other way hogging lanes.

On Sunday we want to go from the Pigeon Forge area to Maggie Valley to see the wheels through time museum... any suggestions on routes to/from, what also to see on Sunday that would take us by or through Maggie Valley and that area that is nice to see and ride? We also want to see some waterfalls - would love some suggestions.

TIA

Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I thought the Dragon was over-hyped. It wasn't a bad road, but it was nothing special. 28 on the way to it was more fun, and the Cherahola Skyway was a blast.

Attached Thumbnails Tail of the Dragon-img_5835.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 AM
bks
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD

TIA
On Sunday there will probably be alot of traffic. But, from Pigeon Forge to Maggie Valley I'd look at going on thru Gatlinburg to the Great Smokey Mountians Park and take 441 across to Cherokee NC. Just before getting into Cherokee is the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would take the Parkway to Maggie Valley. Or you can go on thru Cherokee and take hwy 19 to Maggie Valley.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 AM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going next week with pretty much the same plans...... Can't wait

Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want waterfalls, Hwy28 south (east) of Franklin, and before Cashiers, has several. Excellent ride from P.F.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I go every year and stay up there for a week , the Dragon is to crowded on week ends , but if you like to see a bunch of bikes then it is the place to be on Sat

Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,107 Likes on 3,651 Posts

I will be in Cherokee Labor Day weekend...i will more than likely stay away from Deals gap...Well maybe not....I might take a leisurly ride on it...about 40 mph...with the wife on the back...LOL...I am going to Helen GA and Suches GA this time...Also hit a few of the lesser travelled roads...

Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up Great Info

Originally Posted by bks
On Sunday there will probably be alot of traffic. But, from Pigeon Forge to Maggie Valley I'd look at going on thru Gatlinburg to the Great Smokey Mountians Park and take 441 across to Cherokee NC. Just before getting into Cherokee is the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would take the Parkway to Maggie Valley. Or you can go on thru Cherokee and take hwy 19 to Maggie Valley.
Perfect info, thanks BKS!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up Perfecto

Originally Posted by slime_dog
If you want waterfalls, Hwy28 south (east) of Franklin, and before Cashiers, has several. Excellent ride from P.F.
Thanks Slime Dog!

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon