Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Helmet is Junk

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
ALEKATNM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Helmet is Junk

Has anyone else bought one of the "NEW" composite helmets? Well I did it's a cool black, or was. The coating that they use to make it flat black became sticky and shiny in some parts. Took it back to the stealership, that will remain name less in Colonial Heights, VA. They told me that I had to have gotten something on it. My reply, plenty of sunshine. They are not going to warranty it, and neither is Harley. POS in my opinion. A $200 plus helmet should not become sticky. I really felt like telling the DA that handle the warranties "yeah i regularly wash my helmet with paint thinner." How stupid do they think we are? In my opinion Harley's warranty is worthless. Anyone else have this issue with the new helmets..? They did have a solution, sell me a new at 15% discount. Pi$$$#D.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was given a helmet when I bought an EG in 07, a piece that holds the face shield on fell apart in about three weeks, I have never been able to replace the part because they don't sell it, so now as don't use the helmet, it's in my garage, I'll probably throw it away soon, the only reason I didn't complain much is because I didn't directly pay for it.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I wonder if it has something to do with the coating manufacturer? This is the third complaint I've seen in the past few weeks talking about exactly the same issue. The other two were not Harley helmets, but were flat black coated. The others were noted in another forum, one of which was just listed today. The complaint was on a newer Skid Lid.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a couple last year for me and the old lady. Probably $50 each.
Non-Harley brand but have ended up the same as you describe...
They are now our "****" helmets. We have since replaced with helmets with real finishes.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I will say I have the Harley Hybrid,and it is the best helmet I have ever had. I got mine on clearance,but even at full price it would still be a great deal.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My helmet is flat black Krylon spray paint, and is holding up nicely. Every so often i scuff it and put another coat on and i'm good to go.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Icon helmet with a red matted finish. It started flaking off showing the shinny red underneath. It was just a thin rubberized clear coating on top. Weathering is the only thing I could see that caused that to happen. So I will not buy a flat finish helmet again. I just believe it is part of the manufacturing process.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't wear the thing. It sounds to me as if the structure is compromised. I'm not an engineer, but if the finish is funky, who knows what chemical reaction has gone on in the shell.

If it's still under Warranty, take it back to the dealer and tell them it's a Safety issue.

If the salesperson/parts guys/etc. gives you any crap, go up the chain until you get to the owner. If your problem's not resolved at the dealer, get the number for Harley Customer Service, and take it up with them. Take it up each rung of the ladder there until you get someone who'll listen to you.

If it's easier to shine it on, and replace the helmet, ok. But if you feel they're ripping you off (that's the way it sounds) you owe it to yourself to get things straightened out, as far as a firm attitude, and persistence are able.

Alan

Old 07-13-2011, 06:05 PM
wrench22
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be made in China

Old 07-13-2011, 06:21 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I was given a helmet when I bought an EG in 07, a piece that holds the face shield on fell apart in about three weeks, I have never been able to replace the part because they don't sell it, so now as don't use the helmet, it's in my garage, I'll probably throw it away soon, the only reason I didn't complain much is because I didn't directly pay for it.
You don't think so?

Quick Reply: Harley Helmet is Junk