Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Helmet is Junk

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
I will say I have the Harley Hybrid,and it is the best helmet I have ever had. I got mine on clearance,but even at full price it would still be a great deal.
Same here...I have the gloss black one and its the best I have also. My favorite out of 4 or 5 helmets.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Harley Hybrid & have had zero problems. I really appreciate the lighter weight

Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm not sure if this applies to all HD helmets but many, including their modular, FF and 3/4 helmets are made by HDC. In fact you can buy the identical model with an HDC logo instead of the HD logo, in most cases for 60% of what the HD has set the MSRP at on their branded helmets at.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
I'm not sure if this applies to all HD helmets but many, including their modular, FF and 3/4 helmets are made by HDC. In fact you can buy the identical model with an HDC logo instead of the HD logo, in most cases for 60% of what the HD has set the MSRP at on their branded helmets at.
they get their helmets from agv, hjc, or kbc. i don't think anyone of them has an exclusive contract. my wife got a hd helmet on clearance that was a very good price. less than what it would have cost to get the same helmet from a non-branded source. it was the agv blade.

when i got my first bike, i didn't have a helmet so i had to pick one up at the dealer the same time i got my bike. i don't remember what happened, but i had an issue with the helmet and i contacted hd customer service. they gave me the contact info for the helmet manufacturer and i called them and they sent me the stuff i needed right away. no hassles, no run-around.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Bought a couple at J&P a few yrs ago. Did the same thing. Sticky greasy feel. Sold em on craigs list.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, my $30 flat black german novelty helmet has a couple of small shiny spots on it, too.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
what safety issue? i would find it a hard stretch to claim a boogered up finish as a safety issue...
My comment is based on the possibility that if a non specified chemical (caustic, solvent, incorrect primer used, any adulterant fluid contamination or whatever) was inadvertantly used /spilled during the manufactuing process it may weaken the outer shell.
Obviously something was between the shell and the final finish or it wouldn't damage the overall finish.

The guy paid for a helmet that should be 100% perfect. If the supplier won't reasonably take it back then I'd play the safety card "what if" and make some noise. That gets attention down here but it may mean less where you are.....not my problem.

Goods for sale must be of reasonable quality and fit for service. His helmet is neither and should be replaced graciously -- unless he spilled something on it....

Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 PM
GreenRK
Cruiser

I have the flat black Hybrid half helmet. It's never seen anything but the natural elements that mother nature throws at it and mine is sticky and shiny on the top. I thought some kid must have got his popsickle on it while I was away from my bike at some point. I love how it fits and the light weight.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Rhetor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acid rain?

Driving through New Jersey?

IMHO, either one will melt a helmet!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM
dnitram
Road Master

The best helmet I've ever owned (comfort & safety - D.O.T & Snell rated) was a SHOEI J-Wing. Recently after realizing it needed replacement, I searched and found SHOEI had discontinued it... couldn't find it anywhere at the time. Just did a Google search and finally found that Dennis Kirk has them (lots of colors and sizes available), plus fortunately it well discounted. Almost hurt myself ordering it so fast... on the way!

Great helmet, just wanted to pass this along.

Quick Reply: Harley Helmet is Junk