Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Helmet is Junk

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5074
Harley doesn't make helmets..... look for the tag inside and complain to the company that made it.

Originally Posted by danzio
That's a totally senseless comment. It doesn't matter who makes it, the company that sells it should stand behind it. If this was the case most of the chit that breaks on your bike wouldn't be warrantied because the MOCO doesn't manufacture half the chit on your bike.
It's the law downunder and I would be very suprised if it wasn't the same in the USA --being the company that sells it HAS to stand behind it, and it's up to the dealer to talk to the manufacturer about it.

If I were the OP I would claim a safety issue and have it replaced by the dealer, or keep going up the tree till someone wakes up.....

Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,295 Likes on 2,505 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
If I were the OP I would claim a safety issue and have it replaced by the dealer, or keep going up the tree till someone wakes up.....
what safety issue? i would find it a hard stretch to claim a boogered up finish as a safety issue...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Are you 15?

He should contact the manufacturer...... they may know what's going on. It may be a known issue to the manufacturer..... and a dealer would not have that information.
Yep. Seems I've heard HJC makes some of the HD helmets.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM
ALEKATNM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
I will say I have the Harley Hybrid,and it is the best helmet I have ever had. I got mine on clearance,but even at full price it would still be a great deal.
Mine is the Hybrid, with the ghost flames. Spoke to the stealership yesterday, they want to keep it for 3 weeks until the HD rep comes to town. If that doesnt work they can keep it. it looks like crap. protection is more important than looks, but if the outside is in this condition what about the inside?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Riding buddy has the HD composite, but the grey one, not the flat black. Sounds like it's the flat black that is doing it. I have the HJC CF helmet, and love it. Have had it for about 4 years now and no issues. It's lighter and has a smaller profile than the HD one.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:40 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

My wife bought a new HD full face helmet this spring. She loves it. No problems at all. Can you find out who the manufacturer of your helmet was and see if there is a recall or warranty through them? Harley retails the helmets, but they do not make them.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My flat black Bell has done that as well...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought most of Harley's helmets were supplied from HJC. Man, that's a shame! Doesn't say much for HJC or Harley!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a FF helmet in June, "08. H-D of choice. Black of course. Put a scar on it the first week but we won't go there. Seems to be holding up ok, but, for some reason a couple of days ago I looked for the DOT TAG OF PROOF. Cannot find DOT nowhere but HARLEY & BAR & SHIELD is PAINTED front & center. I *** u me it was DOT since coming from the dealer but I thought DOT ID was required.
Is mine the only helmet without a DOT sticker or tag ?

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 07-14-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Update add on
Old 07-14-2011, 02:23 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Helmets are one of the few things that I will not buy from HD, because of such issues. They are usually just re-badge and therefore if you have a issue with the helmet you get this sort of customer service issues. I have had helmets from ICON , Scorpion , SHOEI and many others. When ever I have had a issue with any of these I call the customer service number and have always had a replacement shipped out at no cost. "Any sort of defect in the manufacturing of the helmet could be a sign of failure within the helmet."

Quick Reply: Harley Helmet is Junk