Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amber spotlights...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone attempted to find a web page with these sealed beam lamps on them?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Davepa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I'm asking because I'm ignorant on the subject: Other than aesthetics; is there a reason to run the amber?
I wanted to visible to others sooner to help prevent the cagers from pulling out in front of me so often.
But also wanted to try to retain usable light as well. Very tough it seems to have the best of both worlds .
Was hopeful the Wagner amber non-fluted bulb would offer just that, let feedback from those who have tried a variety of different color and Wattage bulbs help me deceide .

Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

20 minutes ago I just put wagner sealed beam 4415A, mfg part #TB4415A0013 amber Fog Light Sealed Beams on my 4th Harley. I run them because they are very different from other lights on other bikes. Cages seem to notice me and they don't flick their high beams at me when I am approaching. The install is fairly straightforward, Just cut ( I know, an act of faith) the original lights off close to the connector. Splice a solderless connector on the end of the wire and fasten the new light bulb in place of the old. And whammo! Nobody flicks their lights at you when you are on low beam and in the daytime, they seem to see you. Try it! They were around $40.00 delivered from J&P Cycle, and worth every penny!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Davepa
Having read the archives about those using yellow/amber bulbs in their spots I am still uncertain which to try.

I am running a 09 Ultra Classic and have seen some using the Wagner sealed beam with some minor wiring changes and others using the 881 plug and play bulbs.
Looking for the true dark yellow/amber bulbs, not sure what 881 is just that.

I guess the non-fluted wagner would be my choice in a sealed beam as I want the most usable light down the road.

Any 881 manufactures which sell the DarkYellow/Amber instead of an off white light yellow bulb? As always PICS welcomed

Regards Dave

Dave,

How's it going? Long time no talk.
Here is a pic of mine. They're fluted. I've had them for almost 2 years now and no problem whatsoever. I bought them from www.ryderfleetproducts.com
Paid $7.29 each plus shipping.
Part number is A27 4415A

And to answer someone's post, the reason I replaced my white auxiliary lamps by amber is because they're much more noticeable.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 07-12-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Davepa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Dave,

How's it going? Long time no talk.
Here is a pic of mine. They're fluted. I've had them for almost 2 years now and no problem whatsoever. I bought them from www.ryderfleetproducts.com
Paid $7.29 each plus shipping.
Part number is A27 4415A

And to answer someone's post, the reason I replaced my white auxiliary lamps by amber is because they're much more noticeable.

Hey Frenchie it has been awhile !

Very busy here since having moved to Maryland from PA (still have not sold Pa property, very bad market)

This was a mod I had planned to do earlier but have had many distractions.
Back on track again so I thought it would be best to check in again to make sure there were not new bulb types on the market that I should consider.

Any reason you purchased fluted ? I thought perhaps the non-fluted would get me noticed while also casting more light on the road...

Regards Dave

Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker

Frenchman's look just like mine. I think you do get noticed better in the daytime but they don't throw off as much bright light at night. I can spot deer better with the stock aux. bulbs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 570 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
Has anyone attempted to find a web page with these sealed beam lamps on them?
www.gelighting.com
go to automotive,then par36 in search.
Yocan see the life,output,and beampatterns hereThe lights you want to checkout are the H76xx (Halogen)
37.5 watts are about the best. they have 50 watters,100 and 350's.Runnih the 50 watt w stock wiring is pushing it,The higher the wattage the shorter the life. later,b.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Weatheredge
Cruiser

Nokya Hyper Yellow 881 27W Light Bulbs

...........did just the Bulb replacement's - Like it!

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Nokya-23069.htm

Old 07-13-2011, 04:39 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Davepa
Hey Frenchie it has been awhile !

Very busy here since having moved to Maryland from PA (still have not sold Pa property, very bad market)

This was a mod I had planned to do earlier but have had many distractions.
Back on track again so I thought it would be best to check in again to make sure there were not new bulb types on the market that I should consider.

Any reason you purchased fluted ? I thought perhaps the non-fluted would get me noticed while also casting more light on the road...

Regards Dave
I didn't know you moved to MD. Hope you'll sell your house in PA soon.
I purchased fluted because the lens of the headlight is fluted too. I don't think non-fluted would cast more light but maybe I'm wrong.
I've used amber for years. I had the same on my Nomad since 2001. Never had to replace them.

Take it easy

Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Biggest reason to change to he amber/yellow color is visibility and safety. Back in my squid/Ninja ZX days, I ALWAYS got cut off, same story.. "Oh I didnt see you". Replaced stock headlight with an H4 with the yellow glass cover on it and the difference was night and day. Cagers actually got out of my way. I have the Nokya yellow 881 bulbs in my spots, they are good. I also have Kuryakyn Silver Bullets mounted up front, in them I replaced the stock 20w bulbs with 4w LED bulbs. Due to the color/temperature difference, they really stand out. Aimed them straight forward too for max visibilty. 4 watts isn't blinding anyone but does stand out well compared to the incandescent bulbs. Get them wagner or similar amber spots or the plastic covers, you WILL stand out in the crowd and increase your visibility to others. LED lights will help also.

Last edited by Max96; 07-13-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Amber spotlights...again