Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I used Dynamat on a Dragonfly fairing I did couple years ago. I thought it helped and I wasn't concerned about weight considering Dynamat Wedge Pak is rated at 3lbs for 18"x32" sheet or 4sq ft. I am using DynaXorb 6"x6" panels positioned behind my speakers now in HD fairing and I think they do good job.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
I am using DynaXorb 6"x6" panels positioned behind my speakers now in HD fairing and I think they do good job.
Me too.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Tytanium
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...damplifier.php

As an alternative to Dynamat.... look at this stuff. I have zero experience with it but I doing the research for a HK head unit swap, speaker swap and AMP addition. Came across this stuff in my research - might be lighter.

I currently have J&M 7.25 inch speakers and the J&M fairing mat. The mat they provided with my speakers is just an open cell foam - it helped some but I don't think the material was designed for use in acoustic applications.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Another Dynaxorb (made by Dynamat) user here and it does work; made a noticeable, but not a WOW, improvement. It definitely reduced the back wave described in Dynaxorb's website:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

My before and after testing was crude: put my hand on the outer fairing while playing the same CD music at the same volume before and after adding the Dynaxorb squares. After installation, the level of vibration in the outer fairing was noticeably reduced.

Carl

Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Had a high end system installer suggest polyfill. He said it would help "trick" the speakers into thinking they were in a larger enclosure there by producing a slight increase in bass. I haven't tried this yet. Anyone else try it? If so, what's your take?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Polyfill

Well, I put a single layer of polyfill behind each speaker in the batwing last night. I can say it seems to help with the bass, which I so wanted to hear. It doesn't give that thumping bass, but it made the Hawg Wired system sound even better going down the road. When I get back from my week long ride / vacation I'll spray some adhesive in the firing and do a better job. But for now I'm happy to report polyfill does help.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
I used Dynamat on a Dragonfly fairing I did couple years ago. I thought it helped and I wasn't concerned about weight considering Dynamat Wedge Pak is rated at 3lbs for 18"x32" sheet or 4sq ft. I am using DynaXorb 6"x6" panels positioned behind my speakers now in HD fairing and I think they do good job.
Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Another Dynaxorb (made by Dynamat) user here and it does work; made a noticeable, but not a WOW, improvement. It definitely reduced the back wave described in Dynaxorb's website:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

My before and after testing was crude: put my hand on the outer fairing while playing the same CD music at the same volume before and after adding the Dynaxorb squares. After installation, the level of vibration in the outer fairing was noticeably reduced.

Carl
Any chance one of you guys have pic of those mats inside the fairing? I am thinking of using it, but am trying to picture the install

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also need to do something about my saddlebag latches rattling now. LOL

Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dynamat is designed for heat insulation and sound deadening. I don't think Dynamat will do anything for improving acoustics. I don't think it would ad much weight so the only way to find out is to try it. The last time I use Dynamat it was a bit exspensive.

Last edited by shortride; 07-13-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Any chance one of you guys have pic of those mats inside the fairing? I am thinking of using it, but am trying to picture the install
Pics of the Dynaxorb squares are on the web; and, since you've had your fairing off the bike, imagine the Dynaxorb square installed to the inside surface of the inner fairing directly behind each speaker--just a black, acousticly molded square of rubber-like composition (the consistency of a gummy bear/worm piece of candy) stuck to the inside surface of the inner fairing.

Polyfil mat does the same thing--breaks up the back wave from the speaker as depicted in the Dynaxorb link I posted previously in this thread.

FWIW, I contacted the webmaster at "Basic Car Audio Electronics" and asked him if the Dynaxorb and polyfil really served their intended purposes; specifically, I was asking about stuffing Polyfil stranded product (as used for making pillows) in the CVO Street Glide speaker boxes installed in my vented lowers would help the audio quality. He confirmed that those products work.

I don't know if you would see any improvement using Dynaxorb in lieu of or in addition to the Polyfil mat you're currently using.

Carl

Quick Reply: Anyone using Dynamat?