Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet oil cooler and remote oil filter setup!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Akitakoi

Wonder if there would be to much added demand on the oil pump.
plus..how much pressure drop is there by installing this filter relocation kit or any other for that matter?

Looks like the oil cooler is a Jagg, and they do have one of the lowest pressure drop coolers on the market.

I checked out Jerrys Rigs website and I saw no mention of pressure drop and in the Q&A section of Moores Sensible Products website they state "There will be no significant, measurable pressure drop whatsoever."

Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

The Xr1200X has a similar oil cooler setup, but I do like the filter setup. Looks god and very easy to access.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

The Moore Sensible Products mount only works on 2008 bikes and older. Too bad, I really liked it.

Beary

Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I run the ultra cool and a remote filter kit from moore sensible products (Dan Moore) It puts the oil filter under the rear passenger footboard mount.

Here's a pic of the setup on Dan's bike.

I like that too. Anything to relocate the filter.

I do NOT like the Ultra Cool setup. I'm dreading my next oil change. What a mess!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by golfmajic
Lots of plumbing, looks a little bit of a mess to me, why not install the Harley set-up, it fits and provides added oil cooling as long as you are moving!
Why not? Because I think the Harley, Jagg, and Ultra Cool sandwich style oil filter adapters plain suck. The leak, they spin, and are a bad design in general in my opinion.

The Riggs adapter is sweet! No leaks from that one. Plus I like the vertical oil filter setup. I'lll probably order that setup and integrate it with my Ultra Cool.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twistr
plus..how much pressure drop is there by installing this filter relocation kit or any other for that matter?

Looks like the oil cooler is a Jagg, and they do have one of the lowest pressure drop coolers on the market.

I checked out Jerrys Rigs website and I saw no mention of pressure drop and in the Q&A section of Moores Sensible Products website they state "There will be no significant, measurable pressure drop whatsoever."
Yes this is the EXACT same question I would be asking as well. The harley oil pump is DESIGNED to flow at a certain pressure over a certain distance. Increasing this distance decrease the pressure available from the oil pump. I would be especially weary of mounting the filter all the way to the back of the bike. There has got to be a good pressure drop with all of that added hose.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Was thinking the same thing about that oil filter all the way at the passenger board though looks very easy to change out with no oil running all over the frame.

My '91 Electra Glide has the oil filter hanging under the tranny case between the side rails so very easy to change and the oil just drips straight to the ground/drain pan. Possible because it has the saddle oil tank which IS a pain to drain oil from so room underneath not taken up by oil pan.

Looking at the new oil filter OEM setup it would be perfect if it was lower on the frame and vertical is all IMO. Are there kits out there to do that?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Looks like a Jagg oil cooler.

Kevin
Ditto, looks like the Jagg my friend has on his bike. I like the vertical mounts but it won't work on my Ultra with lowers.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

might have to get me a riggs setup!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Trainowner
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's my Night Train and here is the story behind the oil cooler/filter set up:
If you have ever been to Honolulu, Hawaii you will notice the jacked up traffic just as soon as you leave the airport. That is why I purchased the Jagg oil cooler. It was the first item I bought for my bike in 2006. Heat issues are a common thing for air cooled vehicles here on the 50th state, be it a 1964 VW Micro Bus or a '53 Porsche Speedster. I learned this from growing up around hopped up Vdubs. An oil cooler is your best friend.
I know, you have to be moving to really get its full potential but it's still better than not having one.
As for Jerrys oil filter relocation kit. I bought that 4 years later in 2010 after reading about it in American Iron or Hot Bike or some other mag I read.
The problem was that I didn't want to give up my cooler. I did some research and found out that you could cut the hose fittings off the jagg cooler and tap in your own 45 or 90 degree fittings so that you are able to mount the cooler on the other side of the frame and reroute the hoses.
For those critics who called it a mess, I challenge you to do what I did.
You WILL need an adapter for your cooler and once that is installed you will need to install new fittings (on the adaptor) that will allow the oil lines to bend without pinching. Jerrys kit will mount to the jagg adaptor. You will then need to route your oil line under Jerrys adaptor and then around the frames downtube (remember not to allow the line to pinch).
You can then connect Jerrys filter mount to the opposite side downtube. I did replace the FILTER lines with steel braided ones for those who criticized my oil lines but there is no room to fit the steel braided oil cooler lines under Jerrys adaptor unless you run fittings all the way past Jerrys adaptor, which to me looks like a plumbers nightmare.
As for the oil pressure, thats why you see the guage on Jerrys adaptor. I was concerned about that also, which is why I didn't mount it under the frame. Too much oil line. It's running at 32 psi, all day.
No more heat issues. For those of you who don't have traffic issues the oil cooler really isn't necessary. Just install a reusable oil filter like I did and you should have no problem keeping your oil running at a decent temp.

I also installed head cooling fans from www.wardspartsworks.com I can sit in traffic all day...

Last edited by Trainowner; 09-10-2013 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trainowner:
Johnny Goodlife (11-30-2016), Tall Mike (06-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Sweet oil cooler and remote oil filter setup!