Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley 1 1/4" mini apes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 AM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 112 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Harley 1 1/4" mini apes

Good morning from North Georgia. Still looking at bars for the RKC and had a thought. H - D mini apes...couple questions. First, anyone have them and your opinion. Second, do they mount directly under tr RKC fork lock assembly or do they HAVE to have the risers? Pictures if you have them, please...

Thanks everyone. Tried a search but to no avail...

Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydenHeywoodHayes
Good morning from North Georgia. Still looking at bars for the RKC and had a thought. H - D mini apes...couple questions. First, anyone have them and your opinion. Second, do they mount directly under tr RKC fork lock assembly or do they HAVE to have the risers? Pictures if you have them, please...

Thanks everyone. Tried a search but to no avail...
Think you'll find that most people go with aftermarket bars, better selection, better prices, and many think better looking.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 6,412 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Are you still looking for bars? You have to use the riser with the mini apes because of the 1.25" dia. I went with Heritage style bars from H-D, about $80. No need to change any cables or wires. The stock bars were so low I couldn't lean on the back rest. The Heritage style bars bring your hands up and back, they are great!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you buy an aftermarket bar like Wild1's, you can use the stock 1" handlebar risers, but you have to use the one piece bar clamp. I have a set of their 14" bars on mine, best mod I've done to the bike....

Old 07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Wild 1 14" Apes.

My only regret is not going 16 or 18:"

Old 07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member

Thanks, everybody. Got back today off of the road and will be doing something this week. I appreciate the feedback...can always count on help from the folks here.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydenHeywoodHayes
Thanks, everybody. Got back today off of the road and will be doing something this week. I appreciate the feedback...can always count on help from the folks here.
Let us know what you go with and add the pics.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Default H-D 12" Fat Mini Apes

Okay...some background. Through this search for the bars that will work best for me, I've ridden an '09 RKC with Heritage style bars (wrists from a pinkie end perspective were too far outward), then tried fitting a pair of Wide Glide bars (still not real comfortable wrist angle and had to "notch" them for the TBW), then a pair of RK High bars (wrist angle too much the opposite of the Heritage style bars), and finally settled on the RK Fat Bars. They look good on pre-'08 RKCs, but not so installed on an '11 RKC...and much more similar to a beach bar than a higher bar. By the way, they'll be for sale next week...on my RKC for two weeks only (only two local rides due to work travel) and if you want bars 2" higher than stock, and with much more pull back, and with the feel of a beach bar but not a beach bar, they're yours for $150 delivered to any U.S. address...a steal for $259 bars! But I digress...

I looked at apes, and was going to order Wild 1s, 513s or 515s. But not really a fan of their "shape," particularly their more square shape. So yesterday I ordered the HD 12" fat mini apes (will be selling the chrome risers that come with them as well...). Should be here late this week and installed shortly thereafter. Hopefully my search is over...I'll post pics when I'm done...and will end the "never ending saga" of searching for the (for me) perfect handlebars for my Road King Classic...which will then free me up to search for some other expensive modification for "Brown Betty."

Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Default Harley 1 1/4" Mini Apes

Brown Betty is home with her new handlebars. I gotta tell ya', this is the setup for me. I know they're more expensive than others, and come as a "kit" with a pair of chrome risers I don't need...still, the height and reach are as near perfect as I had imagined, they look way cool, and the comfort of the positioning on my new RKC has been enhanced tremendously. The Sundowner seat was worked by MeanCity Cycles, which lowered me an inch or so, and the bars height at a point just below shoulder height (with a slight elbow bend) did the trick. It's nearly how I sat the Deluxe...not quite, but in it's own way as comfortable.

I will add also that I like the HD bars as they aren't as widely square as the Wild 1s, and though it was a hard decision to make I'm glad I went with the HD mini apes. I've tried to attach a couple pictures but they load sideways...and honestly I don't know how to turn them. I will get some more with different angles so you can see the bars more clearly and how they "fit" on Brown Betty. I'll try to get them this this weekend. Thanks, everyone, for all of your input and suggestions...I am happy with my decision and am extremely happy with my RKC!!

Last edited by HaydenHeywoodHayes; 08-04-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Default HD Mini Apes pics

Just got back from a ride. Way too hot in Georgia...still, even a ride in hot, hot temps is better than no ride at all. I also took a few pictures before I put "Brown Betty" in the garage. Gotta say again I'm really, really happy with my choice of the HD Mini Apes. The RKC is such a great ride to begin with and is even better now with the MeanCity Cycles worked seat and the bars...I know, I know, there are less expensive ways to go...but this works, I'm satisfied, and resigned to waiting a little longer before the "HD mad money" builds up again...

Attached Thumbnails Harley 1 1/4" mini apes-cimg1882.jpg   Harley 1 1/4" mini apes-cimg1883.jpg   Harley 1 1/4" mini apes-cimg1884.jpg   Harley 1 1/4" mini apes-cimg1885.jpg  

Quick Reply: Harley 1 1/4" mini apes