Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Suspension Upgrade Report - Ohlins and Monotubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
They're a huge improvement over the stock air shocks, which were really hard to set so they weren't either too soft or too harsh. The premium shocks are firmly damped so they do a great job of soaking up bumps and potholes, and eliminate wallowing when cornering on bumpy roads, but at the same time they give a plush ride. They also help keep the ABS from getting triggered during hard braking over bumps because they do a much better job of keeping the tire on the road than the air shocks do.

I weigh about 210 and the directions recommend the lightest preload setting for my weight, so they won't have a problem handling heavy riders on a fully loaded touring bike. The hand operated preload adjuster is very convenient, making it a cinch to adjust the shocks for solo riding or two-up touring. Having to break out a tool to do that gets old fast.

These are the only shocks I've tried on my RK other than the stockers. I've had Ohlins on a number of other sport-tourers and adventure bikes. They are top quality shocks, but I didn't get them for the Road King because the RK's biggest handling problem when ridden aggressively is its lack of cornering clearance. Hard parts (usually the floorboard brackets) start scraping long before the shocks are overwhelmed. Given this, I felt the Ohlins would be overkill and couldn't justify spending that kind of coin once the HD Premium shocks became available. A bit like giving a 300lb guy $200 running shoes. He's still not going to run any faster than he would with $100 running shoes.

I spent the cash I saved on HD's premium fork cartridge kit. Now the bike rides nicely on both ends and feels well balanced.
Your money spend how you want but I disagree with you , I've had bikes with Ricor , Progressive 940's and now Ohlin's , I've ridden my friends CVO with the Harley Premium Shocks , I hated the Ricor , the Progressive 940's and HD Premium's were a nice improvement but no where near the level of the Ohlin's , you talk about cornering and riding aggressively and I agree you will drag parts before you use up the shocks as I've been there and you can rest assured there are many forum members on here that have professional track time under their belts but don't boast about it or insult others with it , but just straight lining down the road which is what I do a lot of these days the Ohlins absorb bumps and are way more comfortable than others , why not take you 300lb. man in his running shoes and ask him if he would rather ride down the interstate with all it's holes and bumps in a Cadillac or a KIA ,cornering is just 1/2 their use

Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
I've ridden my friends CVO with the Harley Premium Shocks , I hated the Ricor , the Progressive 940's and HD Premium's were a nice improvement but no where near the level of the Ohlin's.
Your friend's CVO has the 12" premium shocks. The new standard length 13" premium shocks absorb bumps very well.

I'm not disputing that Ohlins are excellent shocks. But for those who want to spend less money the HDs ride very nicely at half the cost of the Ohlins 3s, and a quarter the cost of the Ohlins 6s.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Your friend's CVO has the 12" premium shocks. The new standard length 13" premium shocks absorb bumps very well.

I'm not disputing that Ohlins are excellent shocks. But for those who want to spend less money the HDs ride very nicely at half the cost of the Ohlins 3s, and a quarter the cost of the Ohlins 6s.
The Ohlins #2 version is around 550, shipped, sprung and valved to the rider's weight and payload, how does that compare to the premium ride cost wise? I truly believe many are being mislead about the cost of Ohlins when this version is not brought into the discussion. And I know about the differences of construction. The 36e Ohlins(#2 version) is an excellent world class damper.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The Ohlins #2 version is around 550, shipped, sprung and valved to the rider's weight and payload, how does that compare to the premium ride cost wise? I truly believe many are being mislead about the cost of Ohlins when this version is not brought into the discussion. And I know about the differences of construction. The 36e Ohlins(#2 version) is an excellent world class damper.
But you can't buy them with Dealer Dollars, or Chrome Cash, or whatever the hell they call frequent buyers miles at your local dealer.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
But you can't buy them with Dealer Dollars, or Chrome Cash, or whatever the hell they call frequent buyers miles at your local dealer.
That and if you have a problem while on the road how to you get service or repair....Do you have to buy another brand/ set of shocks and then take care of repairs or service when you get home? I am in no way bashing Ohlins I wish that I could afford them but I also have to look at MY big picture.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
That and if you have a problem while on the road how to you get service or repair....Do you have to buy another brand/ set of shocks and then take care of repairs or service when you get home? I am in no way bashing Ohlins I wish that I could afford them but I also have to look at MY big picture.
Try being on the road and have Progressives go bad or HD shocks , do you really believe another dealer is going to warranty them out on the spot , I doubt it

Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tj316
Try being on the road and have Progressives go bad or HD shocks , do you really believe another dealer is going to warranty them out on the spot , I doubt it
I have had good luck with dealerships for HD parts (so far). I was referring to using the HDP shocks, not another aftermarket brand. You may be there a day or two depending on stock levels, but I wouldnt be paying the shipping to get the parts there either, like I would if the part was an aftermarket piece.

Only playing devil's advocate here. Before this morning I didn't even think of this aspect.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i decided i will go with the 3-3's Ohlins.... to what i read from feedback, should be all i need. I'm 32" inseem, so i need to ask Howard if im better off going with 13" shock vs the 12" stock shock height..ya the 6's maybe better, but i think might be an overkill abd u can keep some $$ in my wallet..,, seems the 3's will cause less headache's when need to adjust from solo or two up too... I am wondering if I can get away with finding one adjustment for solo and two up..... i'm going to call howard in two weeks and place my order... need to clear my V- card first from Christmas holidays.

Last edited by papifun; 01-22-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Ohlins failure

Originally Posted by Stang951
I have had good luck with dealerships for HD parts (so far). I was referring to using the HDP shocks, not another aftermarket brand. You may be there a day or two depending on stock levels, but I wouldnt be paying the shipping to get the parts there either, like I would if the part was an aftermarket piece.

Only playing devil's advocate here. Before this morning I didn't even think of this aspect.
It's a valid point however unless the springs break your bike will still be suspended just under damped. And the chances that both would fail on the same trip is extremely remote. I have had them on many different bikes and have NEVER had a single non crash related failure, but there is always the first time for everything, like I tell my wife, Nothing ever happens, till it happens!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
It's a valid point however unless the springs break your bike will still be suspended just under damped. And the chances that both would fail on the same trip is extremely remote. I have had them on many different bikes and have NEVER had a single non crash related failure, but there is always the first time for everything, like I tell my wife, Nothing ever happens, till it happens!
I actually had the rear shocks (stock) go out coming home from Alabama. Wife and gear on the bike. One minute everything was fine, the next it felt like we were riding a skateboard.

Not fun, but the next day the dealer had a new set of shocks on the bike. Wont be doing that with any aftermarket shocks!

Quick Reply: My Suspension Upgrade Report - Ohlins and Monotubes