Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Suspension Upgrade Report - Ohlins and Monotubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The Ohlins are world class dampers, pick a model that fits your wallet and bolt 'em up. It's that simple. Cubic dollars won't make your skill level increase. I've run out of talent mid apex many many times, it aint the tool it's the tradesman!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
How do you like the HD Premium Shocks? Can you compare them to any others? These are one of the sets I am considering when I upgrade.
They're a huge improvement over the stock air shocks, which were really hard to set so they weren't either too soft or too harsh. The premium shocks are firmly damped so they do a great job of soaking up bumps and potholes, and eliminate wallowing when cornering on bumpy roads, but at the same time they give a plush ride. They also help keep the ABS from getting triggered during hard braking over bumps because they do a much better job of keeping the tire on the road than the air shocks do.

I weigh about 210 and the directions recommend the lightest preload setting for my weight, so they won't have a problem handling heavy riders on a fully loaded touring bike. The hand operated preload adjuster is very convenient, making it a cinch to adjust the shocks for solo riding or two-up touring. Having to break out a tool to do that gets old fast.

These are the only shocks I've tried on my RK other than the stockers. I've had Ohlins on a number of other sport-tourers and adventure bikes. They are top quality shocks, but I didn't get them for the Road King because the RK's biggest handling problem when ridden aggressively is its lack of cornering clearance. Hard parts (usually the floorboard brackets) start scraping long before the shocks are overwhelmed. Given this, I felt the Ohlins would be overkill and couldn't justify spending that kind of coin once the HD Premium shocks became available. A bit like giving a 300lb guy $200 running shoes. He's still not going to run any faster than he would with $100 running shoes.

I spent the cash I saved on HD's premium fork cartridge kit. Now the bike rides nicely on both ends and feels well balanced.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The Ohlins are world class dampers, pick a model that fits your wallet and bolt 'em up. It's that simple. Cubic dollars won't make your skill level increase. I've run out of talent mid apex many many times, it aint the tool it's the tradesman!
My wallet is ALOT light after the holidays and will continue to lighten until about when the kids graduate from high school in about 9 more years. I would love the Ohlins, but I have to make sure that I can budget them in. Right now with the deals I can get through my dealership I may be able to do the HD Premiums for around 40% off when they do the next big sale day.

Originally Posted by Twinrider
They're a huge improvement over the stock air shocks, which were really hard to set so they weren't either too soft or too harsh. The premium shocks are firmly damped so they do a great job of soaking up bumps and potholes, and eliminate wallowing when cornering on bumpy roads, but at the same time they give a plush ride. They also help keep the ABS from getting triggered during hard braking over bumps because they do a much better job of keeping the tire on the road than the air shocks do.

I weigh about 210 and the directions recommend the lightest preload setting for my weight, so they won't have a problem handling heavy riders on a fully loaded touring bike. The hand operated preload adjuster is very convenient, making it a cinch to adjust the shocks for solo riding or two-up touring. Having to break out a tool to do that gets old fast.

These are the only shocks I've tried on my RK other than the stockers. I've had Ohlins on a number of other sport-tourers and adventure bikes. They are top quality shocks, but I didn't get them for the Road King because the RK's biggest handling problem when ridden aggressively is its lack of cornering clearance. Hard parts (usually the floorboard brackets) start scraping long before the shocks are overwhelmed. Given this, I felt the Ohlins would be overkill and couldn't justify spending that kind of coin once the HD Premium shocks became available. A bit like giving a 300lb guy $200 running shoes. He's still not going to run any faster than he would with $100 running shoes.

I spent the cash I saved on HD's premium fork cartridge kit. Now the bike rides nicely on both ends and feels well balanced.

Thanks, I was wondering if they were worth the money. Those coupled with the Progressive Monotubes should be a vast improvement.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still looking for some photos with Ohlins 6's on a SG without tourpak.. any out there ?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
still looking for some photos with Ohlins 6's on a SG without tourpak.. any out there ?
Me too, that is what my back needs!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

somebody has to have a set installed.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without the TP where do you put the res on the #6's?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Twinrider
While I agree with you about this I would like to clarify, the Ohlins dont increase the cornering limits, I never thought they would, they control the bike waaaayyy better than stock which is what it was about for me - comfort and control. My bike and I in street trim are 1050lb on the weighbridge, thats a fair bit to control, especially at 130 mph.

To be honest the 6s probably are overkill, and I certainly wouldnt say anything bad about the HD premium as I have never ridden anything with them fitted.

As I said earlier there are diminishing returns with most things, I doubt the 6s are twice as good as the 3s. Money hasnt really been an issue with my bike, I am lucky enough to just be able to throw whatever I want on it. I dont know what the HD premiums are worth. They are probably made by Showa or some reputable brand anyhow.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
See posts #2 and #18.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 AM
davidw221
Supporter

Thanks Twinrider, you made up my mind, I'm going with the HD, I put the progressive springs in the forks last nite, bike still on the rack, will be a week or two before I get it out on the road for a test ride,

Quick Reply: My Suspension Upgrade Report - Ohlins and Monotubes