Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Suspension Upgrade Report - Ohlins and Monotubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM
07DDreamHD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GREAT write-up. Thanks for the information. I too have the Ohlins #6's on my SG. I did not have the same problems with the install, but that is because the reserviors fit the SG better with much more clearance (other than having to relocate the antenna bracket). My Ohlins made a HUGE difference!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for sharing and nice write up. It seemed to a little bit expensive for me, as usual for ohlins...

Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by pit1600
thanks for sharing and nice write up. It seemed to a little bit expensive for me, as usual for ohlins...
When we buy a Harley all we get is a blank canvass. Some of us use paint and chrome, or even big front wheels, while others of us cushion our butts!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
I'm pretty sure they would have cleared the Fatcat, and they work fine with the stock mufflers and the 4" Jackpots. Basically any slip-on with the axle relief dent that the stock ones have. .
My V&H Basic Slip Ons have the dents in them, yet the axle still makes contact.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Damn. I know the Jackpots I'm using only have an RCH worth of clearance between the dent and the axle nut. I'm surprised that the V&H don't cut it.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

king,,thanks for the great post..i see you have the power duals as i..can you post a photo of the dents to the exhaust from the axle nut for my observations...i also have the saddle bag gaurds...hmmm...seems i also will have to relocate my rear antenna which i like the whip look...

Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by papifun
king,,thanks for the great post..i see you have the power duals as i..can you post a photo of the dents to the exhaust from the axle nut for my observations...i also have the saddle bag gaurds...hmmm...seems i also will have to relocate my rear antenna which i like the whip look...
I will get the pics now.

The solution to the axle hitting the mufflers is to put 1/4" spacers between the mufflers and the flat brackets to just drop them slightly. You will need 4 x longer muffler hanging bolts (not included in Howards kit).

Your antenna will need to be moved and you will have to swear a lot during the install. Its worth it once its done.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Just went to take some pics and remembered the mufflers are off the bike

Attached Thumbnails My Suspension Upgrade Report - Ohlins and Monotubes-img00110-20120115-1742.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

Just went to take some pics and remembered the mufflers are off the bike
lol... i plan to pick up the 6 or 3's early March from Howard..
King - have u any experience what the 3's might feel like compared to the 6's.. im wondering if double the $ is worth the 6's... still my goal is the 6's.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by papifun
lol... i plan to pick up the 6 or 3's early March from Howard..
King - have u any experience what the 3's might feel like compared to the 6's.. im wondering if double the $ is worth the 6's... still my goal is the 6's.
Short answer is no, I dont know how much better the 6s are as I have never ridden a bike with the 3s.

Long answer:
These things tend to be subjective. Anyone who spends $1600 on a pair of shocks is pre-disposed to telling you that they are the best thing in the world. Anecdotal evidence and testimonials are completely useless, but thats all we have to go on most of the time. From a pure physics point of view the 3s shouldnt be very far behind the 6s. Both have nitrogen pressurized oil, both have ohlins valving which is famously precise. The 6s have the external reservoir which gives more travel and temperature stabilization ie as the oil gets hotter and thins out the shock adjusts itself so they give consistent performance when worked hard. The 6s have more adjustability so you can tune them when you are carrying more weight etc etc.

After riding a stock 2012 RK recently I noticed how well the ohlins did their job. They are so smooth and you can just feel them soak up the bumps without taking away the feel of the bike. Are the 6s twice as good as the 3s? Probably not. There is always a rule of diminishing returns with this sort of thing. My monotubes were $260 on ebay and my #6s were $1600 or whatever. Are the ohlins 6x better than the monotubes? Nope.

Its a bit like my 124" motor. Is it better than a SE 120R? Definitely, hands down. Stronger, more powerful, roller rockers, full warranty etc etc. Is it twice as good? No way. If I had my time again would I buy the S&S? Probably, but not because its worth it per se, but because I like to have the best and I like to be a bit different.

Overall the 6s are a bit painful to install, whereas the 3s are 4 bolts. To be honest, if I was you I would be seriously tempted to get the 3s, but if your like me and like to have the best and be a cut above the crowd then go the 6s.

Quick Reply: My Suspension Upgrade Report - Ohlins and Monotubes