Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife is scared

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 AM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzy76
I just got my new ultra and took the wife on a ride for the first time.

After an hour of riding we stopped.

I asked her what did she think?

With the bigger seat and the tour pak, I thought she would be thrilled.

Instead, she told me she was scared to ride with me. She said was scared when I took turns and leaned into them.

She felt like she was going going to fall over. She was gripping the rear speakers because she had nothing to hold on to.

Does anyone have any advice?

I got this bike because I wanted us to ride more together.

Thanks!
How long have you been riding yourself?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife is also a bit scared. Not so much of the riding but of the other idiots on the road. With two small kids at home she worries about what will happen to them if we have a prang. I don't blame her at all and understand her fears, so we ride around the neighbourhood for fun.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very fortunate. My wife loves to ride but is also happy to go without and let me ride solo.

One thought does spring to mind, and that is where she focuses, in general, whilst riding. Just like the rider, she should be focusing well ahead, especially in corners, rather than just in front of the bike

Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have taken too long of a ride. EASY is the key. ride slow, putt around...LEANING into a curve is scary for passengers unless they are use to it. Remember YOU have handle bars to hold on to, she has SPEAKERS...duh. Ask her to ride again with you to get ice cream or out to a local eatery...go there and back only, respect her fear. Let it be her idea to take a longer ride...ask her before you take a twisty road...sometimes just a ride down a pretty country road does the trick...a SLOW role down a country road. Beware of dogs...that will place her on top of your head fast and then you get to start all over again. LOL good luck, she will come around, mine did...and now she loves the Dragon!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and i had a couple of mishaps this spring, one out of our control and one totally my fault. The first time we went down pretty hard and got scraped up, the second I went too fast into a turn and there was loose grain in the road and the front tire slid, got the bike stopped just off the shoulder, but it was muddy and my foot slipped and we fell over. The second accident shook her up more than the first. I took her on several short rides around the neighborhood and gradually worked up to longer rides, but she was still tense. We went on a long ride through some of the best roads in Indiana, curvey, tree lined, up and down hills. Halfway through we stopped for lunch and my buddy who was behind us told my wife he could see her tensing up and trying to drive the bike with me. After lunch she just relaxed and had a wonderful time, I could feel the difference too. You might have to buy a bike for her, she may not be able to give up the control.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM
kf_chris
Intermediate

My wife was terrified of riding. We got communicators when we got the bike and she rode with me with no issues at all from the start. Might want to try that if you haven't already.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
musicman1
6th Gear

When I have the wife on the back, I always keep in mind I'm riding for HER comfort and enjoyment, not mine. I have plenty of time to feed the adrenaline beast when I'm one up. Take it extra slow n easy and she'll probably come around over time

Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzy76
I just got my new ultra and took the wife on a ride for the first time.

After an hour of riding we stopped.

I asked her what did she think?

With the bigger seat and the tour pak, I thought she would be thrilled.

Instead, she told me she was scared to ride with me. She said was scared when I took turns and leaned into them.

She felt like she was going going to fall over. She was gripping the rear speakers because she had nothing to hold on to.

Does anyone have any advice?

I got this bike because I wanted us to ride more together.

Thanks!
Yeah. Don't ride so aggressively when she's on the back. She's obviously afraid that you're going to do something that will get her hurt, so go easier until either your skills improve or she gets confidence in your ability.

Last edited by Sharknose; 07-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I hope Mrs crazzy76 can feel the warmth from in here! Most of us are willing you both on and hoping everything works out fine. My wife and I recently got back from a tour from our home in the UK to Budapest in Hungary, 2,750 miles. It can be done with patience!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife missed the hand rails when I got the 07 vs. being stock on the 92. Also have her hold on to your belt or waist so she gets the feel of you and the bike in turns. When they hold on to something in the back it throws the handling off.

Quick Reply: The wife is scared