Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife is scared

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Skywarrior
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw481
...and if he ever has to put it down? No offense, but I don't think this is a good idea.
Why would anyone ever have to "put it down" ???

Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw481
...and if he ever has to put it down? No offense, but I don't think this is a good idea.
Indeed - definitely a bad idea.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM
mudpup
Cruiser

im in the same situation. my wife has never ridden but when i got my current steed she said she wanted to go for a small ride. i was going so slow i could count the blades of grass as we went by them BUT she enjoyed it. dont know how much she will ride but thats why i am ordering a solo seat as soon as i can.

good luck with you situation, hope it turns out for the best......

and for the record, i have been the passenger one time and i will never do that again...........

Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 AM
lp77
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Solution: buy a solo seat and leave the wife at home.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

My wife has ridden on the back with me for 35 years. She's had her MC endorsement for 15 years, and has owned 3 of her own motorcycles. She hasn't had her own motorcycle (other than a dirt bike) for about 10 years, and hasn't rode with me much during that time either.

A few months ago I traded my Sporty for an FLHTP. I thought my wife would love the new bike, big, comfy. Now she says she's too scared to ride in traffic. I am at a loss as to what to do. Hypnosis? Psychologist?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I put the passenger grab bars on the bike and my wife loves them. Especially when I yell BUMP. That gives her something other than me to grab when there is a road obstacle.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You are both in this together! Plenty of good tips so far. Use an intercom, so you can chat while riding. Go on short trips, to your favourite diner or cafe, so you take a break before going back home. Visit friends across town, ordinary things that don't involve long rides. Ride smooooth and easy! Riding with a passenger is an extra skill on top of the basics we get taught. And give your wife a hug from the rest of us - we're rootin' for her!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Blackheat
Tourer

Mine won't ride with me! But she doesn't even like to driver her car on the highway, She don't even like to drive. In the begging I would only go on local streets so I won't go to fast and there is no real leaning on locals.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I think she was scared to ride with you before and the fact that you dropped some hard earned family cash on a new ride
got her upset enough that it gave here courage to tell you the truth.
.......that she doesn't like the way you drive

Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

My former wife refused to ride on my Dyna, so I got an Ultra. After one short ride, she swore she would never ride again. At the time, I worked with a lady (also my golf partner) that wanted to ride with me to lunch one day. She had never been on a bike before. She loved it, took the rider's edge course, got her M endorsement, and baught a Sportster. She asked me to take her on another ride one day, so we rode to Sturgis for a couple weeks. My recommendation is to dump the wife that doesn't like to ride, and find one that does like to ride. It has worked well for me.

Quick Reply: The wife is scared