Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife is scared

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Take it really slow for a while

My wife wasn't comfortable at first either but with time she's getting better. She didn't really want to do anything while riding as a passenger but we soon found out that she needed to help balance the bike while moving slow or stopping. She always wanted to lean to the outside of the turn fearing that the bike would fall over. When I explained that the bike turns by leaning and that it can't fall over when traveling at road speed I was able to get her to look ever the shoulder of the direction of the turn and it helped a lot with making turns. The more we ride, the more she becomes part of what the bike is doing. I try to take turns slower when she's on back and she seems to be getting more confident. Take it slow and give it time. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 PM
FSCparrothead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife was very nervous when she started riding with me.....she had never rode before at all.........she always felt better knowing what was coming, so she looks around me most of the time......then I bottomed out on a speed bump with on her on lost control and we down. Now today we did over 200 miles and broke 90 several times, hit some heavy run today and I just told her to tuck her chin and she did so....and now adays she loves riding as much as i do.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

take it slow and easy and don't push her

Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife does not ride anymore. Problem solved. Give it some thought.

Good luck to all.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More then two ways to skin a cat. Sounds like this could be a multi-level delemma that your only studing from one angle.

You toss the little gal up on the back of this big ol' iron horse and then went on ahead and tried to impress her.....but it back fired. You done went and skert her. If this was a young filly you were training....and blew it this bad, you'd need to back way up and start dang near at the beginning to work her out of this fear.

Don't come at her with the "me, me, I" frame of mind. You mention already how you so kind heartedly bought this bigger more comefortable bike for her! Dude, don't pile that mess on her. This girl needs some understanding and support.

Here's what I'd do: First off, DO NOT pressure her immediately back on the bike. More stress is the last thing she needs. Give her a little breathing room. When she's ready, help dilute the stigma of riding, by taking her to do something she likes. Let the mission be of her choosing....out to eat, across town to visit her sister....what ever. That way she has "her own reason" for climbing back up in the terrifying chair.

Slow way down...like your transporting your grandma (the one with the weak heart).

Coach her to pretend her back is glued to the center of her seat.....that will get her mind off leaning away from the inside of your turns..which is a natural instinct for her ingrained by mother nature.

Out think her. I know it's fun, you know it's fun.....be kind, and help her discover the same thing.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 AM
garyFLHPI
Cruiser

Well... get another wife...

Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 AM
CasaWolves
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzy76
I just got my new ultra and took the wife on a ride for the first time.

After an hour of riding we stopped.

I asked her what did she think?

With the bigger seat and the tour pak, I thought she would be thrilled.

Instead, she told me she was scared to ride with me. She said was scared when I took turns and leaned into them.

She felt like she was going going to fall over. She was gripping the rear speakers because she had nothing to hold on to.

Does anyone have any advice?

I got this bike because I wanted us to ride more together.

Thanks!
get a girlfriend...............

Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

everyone i have ever ridden loved it..i have ridden on the back of a bike once,made it less then half a block then got off and walked.it felt the same way as it does flying thru the air after wrecking the bike..if your wife feels that way??it is going to be tough getting over it..mabye take it easy on back roads till she is more comfortable..putting the ego beside,i will NEVER ride on the back of a bike again..would rather walk.some people just cant give up control like that..good chance you would have a much better time teaching her to ride her own

Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 AM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just give her an ambein and in 10 mins she will be the best rider ever

Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 AM
dhincc
Road Master

I guess I was just lucky. My wife had never ridden before and she was the main reason I got the Ultra vs a SG, the wrap-around back-rest. Hell, she LOVES it. I don't know if this is a good indication of how comfortable she is or not, but she's actually gone to sleep a couple of times back there!

Just do what has been suggested (arm rests, grab rails, whatever) and hopefully she'll come around. If not, just get a driver backrest and go on about your way ...

Ride safe!

Quick Reply: The wife is scared