Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, cruise won't work due to break lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went out to check on the bike this morning, I turned it on and the brake lights were off. However within seconds I heard what sound like static coming from the speakers (maybe not) and the brake lights came back on.
Yesterday while riding I noticed what seemed like static coming from the speakers when I was using the AUX outlet, I thought this was strange as this had not happened before.

Now what?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
1mrbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may or may not help. I put LED brake light bulbs in my Chevy P/U ('04) and the cruise would drop out erratically, or not come on at all. Put the std. bulbs back in, all is good. Needed a load equalizer, which I did not install.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with mine a couple weeks back with brake light staying on and cruise not working. My problem ended up being my front brake lever not being seated properly after I installed new grips. If you remove the brake lever you'll feel the plunger switch inside - this would be an easy check for you especially if you have snap ring pliers to get that nasty little ring back on the pin the holds the lever in place!! Good luck!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the rest of the story. I called Dalton HD in Georgia and told him I heard that 09’ were having problem with break levers and some Dealers were replacing under warranty even if the bike wasn’t under warranty anymore due to all the problems. The service writer said he would check into and put me on hold, he came back on and said that they were not aware of Harley covering it out of warranty but that they would work with me and keep the cost low, labor is $85 an hour and the part is $20 if it was the rear brake switch. They said I could bring the bike in on Wednesday. I told them I was in the middle of a bike trip; they then said bring it in right away.
I then called the dealer in Chattanooga, I explained the same thing to that service writer, he said “there is no known problem with the brake switch, they all go bad.” He also said to fix it would be $150 to $175.
So obviously I went to the dealer in Dalton, it was $110 out the door and fixed with no problem.
The weird part is on the way to the dealer the cruise started working and my buddy following me said the brake lights were working again, now for the strange part. When the brake light was working properly and the cruise also working the radio would scan to the next available station. When the brake light was stuck on and the cruise not working the radio would only go up in increments of one, for example 107.1, 107.3, 107.5, etc… strange.
Rear brake switch was fixed and the rest of the trip there was no problem.

Thanks for all the help and advice.