Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: How do I remove fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Gibby13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answered: How do I remove fairing?

Got my bike a few hours ago, took it for a ride and noticed the radio didn't work. I checked the codes and says FL Speaker open....

How do I remove the fairing to get to it? Is there a post for this, did a search and didn't find anything.

07 UC

Last edited by Gibby13; 07-08-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: answered
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM
EGinBlue
Novice

Is this a new bike? If so, I'd take it back to the dealer. Otherwise, remove the 3 screws holding the windshield on, then the 4 (2 either side) screws from the inside of the fairing to get the outer cover off. Be careful as the headlight will still be attached.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along with the purchase of the bike, a purchase of the service manual is needed, and is also a good way to find out how to remove the fairing.

You don't say what bike, etc, more information than you give is usually needed to get a good answer to any type of question.

On a batwing, there are 4 lower screws, two on each side. One on the lower outside of fairing, and one in by the triple tree, on each side. Remove these four then remove the three on the front and remove the fairing, unplug the light once you get it loose. There most likely maybe a thread showing these steps somewhere, if you search for it, if there is, someone may post a link.

Good luck, and one again, remember the service manual, it will be the best $50 you will spend.

I am adding this, because I see someone else answered while I was typing, do not remove the three first, as they suggest, always remove the bottom four and then loosen the top three, remove the two outside then the center one last, this allows you to hold the fairing (although it usually never moves, you want to be prepared just in case) while removing the last thing holding it.

Last edited by Copyless; 07-08-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

OK, What kind of bike.
To remove a batwing fairing remove the screws around the outer edge of the dash side (there are 2 in front of the tank, one one each side).
Then remove the 3 screws at the bottom of the windshield.
The outer part of teh fairing will lift off.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Go to post #2 of this thread.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See, I told you someone would post a link. Use the link to find the screw locations, but I would use my advise on removing them, which once again is, loosen top three, remove bottom 4, then remove top outside two, then hold fairing and remove center one, this if I remember correctly, would also be per the SM. The SM (which I haven't read in a while) I believe also says to remove the shield before the top three screws, but I have found this to be difficult and not necessary.

When you unhook the light, you will have to let the fairing top fall forward and twist one side at an angle to get it out from the passing lights, if you have them, if not then no worries.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 PM
jman2122
Intermediate

I had the same code on mine while on a trip. I stopped in New Mexico at a Harley shop and they told me the radio was going out. I asked how much a new one was and they said 999.99. I left with my radio working now and then after turning it on and off. I called Iron Cross Audio in Jersey, when I got home and they told me to ship it to them and they would look at it and could probably fix it for $250.00, with a warranty. I sent it off and it should come back tomorrow. They called me and said that the vibration module was messed up and it was probably due to a cracked fairing frame. I looked at the frame and sure enough the right frame had split where it connects to the inner fairing. I checked futher and found that it has a cross bar that had also broken. I bought both frames at Dallas Harley for about $60. My speakers are fine.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Gibby13
Advanced

Wow, you guys are quick, this is on a 07 UC, I got the fairing removed checked the ohms, but speakers are good, I ran the DIAG again, and there are about 5 total codes dealing with speakers.....

Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 PM
deanp1964
Road Master

its pretty well covered hear already, but get a service manual.

...but if you gotta move on the airing before then, make sure you cover your passing lamps with some socks so they don't scratch your fairing during removal and reinstallation.

you have to unplug the headlight too - headlight stays in place on the fairing, just unplug the 3-prong plug.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

+1 on iron cross audio. You can also get extra inputs (on the back) outputs (amplifiers) and change the led colour. My audio did the heat cycling, and wouldn't even work in the heat of the day. Iron Cross auto are former Harmon kardon techs. They know the problems. As well there are the fairing brackets that sometimes break...

While you're in there, get a Hawg wired system. They rock!!

Quick Reply: Help: How do I remove fairing?