Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep Rumble Slip-On Mufflers for a Pre-Stage 1 Install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Deep Rumble Slip-On Mufflers for a Pre-Stage 1 Install?

I just purchased a new 2011 SG. After I get it comfortable for the wife and me, I want to address the exhaust, air intake and fuel control system, but I want to do so in stages.

First, I'd like to install a set of slip-ons that have a "deep, throaty rumble", but don't get so loud as to be a distraction on the open road. I'll probably be riding this way for a full season, so I'd like a slip-on that will not create a too lean air/fuel mix as to become an issue for me.

A year or more down the road, I'd like to upgrade the air kit and add a fuel commander. I'd be interested in a low profile (literally AND figuratively) air kit and a fuel commander system that is EASY to install and use.

Two questions:

1. Which slip-on mufflers are good candidates for the "deep, throaty rumble"?

2. Which air kits and fuel commanders will match up with those slip-ons (and my requirements, noted above)?

I'm learning alot here. Thanks, guys.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM
theindian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got 4" rinehart slipons and ran them with nothing else was told by jamie at fuel moto and several others that would be fine.the dealer will probably tell you otherwise.your not changing that much and aren't taking in any more air.as far as sound i like them alot.i did end up putting a stage 1 and pc-v on and it was easy the hardest part is putting the wires and connecters in a spot so they don't chafe and so the seat slides on easy.ok so i also ended up changing to jackpot 2-1-2 headpipes and have a switch for 2 maps hp and fuel milage on the pc-v. call fuel moto they are very helpful. you can start with slipons or the pc-v.they will send you mew maps everytime you upgrade.if you have a lap top you simply take your seat off hookup and change efi maps. i used the velcro and a couple of wire ties that i can slide to make it easy to move the pc-v and connect my wire. ok enough said call fuel moto you won't be sorry.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Please.....for the love of all that is good.

Try the SEARCH function.

There are more threads here on exhaust, oil, tires, stage 1, and riding attire than are humanly necessary

Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
SLiKPMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest Vance and Hines, if on a budget, try the screaming eagle exhaust that look like super trapps. I have those now. They start out a little more than stock exhaust in volume, but after about a thousand miles, get a little louder. I tested the sound of the bike without the exhaust and found the cats really keep it quiet, so I pulled the packing out of the screaming eagle slip ons. Nice deep rumble. Makes some noise when you get on it, but not so loud when cruising. I had Rineharts on my 08, loved that sound... but I am not ready to stage one the 11 RGU. Addressing the lean/heat issue, strongly recommend these screaming eagles. Running the slip ons without the packing I am not getting excessive heat, sound is doable, deep rumble note that doesn't crack much when I get on it, and I'm not experiencing pops or backfires when I let of the throttle.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

find someone with a set of thunderheader slipons and listen to them.

do yourself a favor. find some folks you know that have different sets of pipes. We can all sit here and tell you til we're blue in the face what sounds best but nothing sounds as good to us as it does to you.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
I just purchased a new 2011 SG. After I get it comfortable for the wife and me, I want to address the exhaust, air intake and fuel control system, but I want to do so in stages.

First, I'd like to install a set of slip-ons that have a "deep, throaty rumble", but don't get so loud as to be a distraction on the open road. I'll probably be riding this way for a full season, so I'd like a slip-on that will not create a too lean air/fuel mix as to become an issue for me.

A year or more down the road, I'd like to upgrade the air kit and add a fuel commander. I'd be interested in a low profile (literally AND figuratively) air kit and a fuel commander system that is EASY to install and use.

Two questions:

1. Which slip-on mufflers are good candidates for the "deep, throaty rumble"?

2. Which air kits and fuel commanders will match up with those slip-ons (and my requirements, noted above)?

I'm learning alot here. Thanks, guys.
I like the Cary Faas Racing slip on mufflers, Arlen Ness air cleaner and the Power Commander 5. If you want to step it up to have your bike running in peak perfomance when it comes to air/fuel ratio then you can add the Power Commander Autotuner to the PCV.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Call fuel motto

Old 07-08-2011, 09:50 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
Please.....for the love of all that is good.

Try the SEARCH function.

There are more threads here on exhaust, oil, tires, stage 1, and riding attire than are humanly necessary
Actually, I figured I would get this response from SOMEONE.

I DID use the SEARCH function. It works quite well, actually. Similar search features are used on my other motorcycle and guitar forums, so I'm very familiar with it.

Anyway, I did not see my specific request addressed; that is, I want to plan out the entire upgrade now (slip-ons, air and fuel), but I want to perform the upgrade in stages.

Hence, my request...

Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Actually, I figured I would get this response from SOMEONE.

I DID use the SEARCH function. It works quite well, actually. Similar search features are used on my other motorcycle and guitar forums, so I'm very familiar with it.

Anyway, I did not see my specific request addressed; that is, I want to plan out the entire upgrade now (slip-ons, air and fuel), but I want to perform the upgrade in stages.

Hence, my request...
No issue with your request. Not sure why some people have to act like moderators. If you don't like the post then move on. Why even bother to post or read the thread if your not interested. Fuel Moto has some great sounding slip on's but you will need to get rid of the CAT too.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you plan on keeping the stock header on with the CAT?? the slipons will sound a lot different with and without them, something ya need to think about, you don't want to get set up and later decide the bike is to hot and do a header change, then only to find out now your pipes are to loud. a lot of people have done that. just saying not to be a smart a$$.

Quick Reply: Deep Rumble Slip-On Mufflers for a Pre-Stage 1 Install?