Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep Rumble Slip-On Mufflers for a Pre-Stage 1 Install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea... always someone saying to "use the search function". As long as this forum has been around we could all use the search function and it would pretty much die out.

Rinehart 4" here. Deep and throaty idle. Loud when you open up the throttle. Good cruising decible. I have Xtreme duals though. Still heard people liking the slip-ons with stock headers. They look really good hanging out the back too.

Another deep slip-on is the V&H Monster Oval. Check'em out. The only issue with those in my book is the size of them. Easy to scrape as they kinda line up with the side of bags (or at least come close). Monster rounds are a good looking, good sounding pipe as well. Not quite as deep as the ovals though.

As far as air... i use the Ness big sucker and haven't seen any issues myself. You have a few options to go with here. If you plan on running lowers don't run the SE Heavy Breather.

Tuner options? Few here as well. If you plan on a lot of modding then think about Auto tuning functions. Saves Dyno times (money) to get it running good. They cost more up front but perform well over all. You'll get a lot of opinions on tuners in general. The PC-V with or without auto-tuning module is really popular. I personally use the Zippers Thundermax. Really expensive but nice. It is an ECM replacement. There are other good options but for times sake in a post i'll let someone else bring those up .

Oh yea... Didn't see you mention it but DON'T FORGET THE HEADERS when talking about your stage 1 . Options Options Options... (They can add to the loudness when you take off the stockers and attach the slip-ons to them.)

Good luck on your purchases... tuff thing choosing! Don't trust the youtube sound clips!

update *** vtwinbob and kcflhtk beat me to the header comment ***

Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
do you plan on keeping the stock header on with the CAT?? the slipons will sound a lot different with and without them, something ya need to think about, you don't want to get set up and later decide the bike is to hot and do a header change, then only to find out now your pipes are to loud. a lot of people have done that. just saying not to be a smart a$$.
Great point. One that I had not considered. It begs the question: How does all this affect the factory warranty?

Ideally, I'd like to keep the stock headers and not mess with the CAT. I'd like to move right from slip-ons to air kit and fuel commander. Are there any disadvantages to this approach?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
ironman2011
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I basically went the same route, slipons first, then Stage 1 later. Didn't really get the deep rumble till I got rid of the cat.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brettcr
Rinehart 4" here. I have Xtreme duals though. Still heard people liking the slip-ons with stock headers. They look really good hanging out the back too.
The Rinehart 4" slip-ons come up alot in these discussions. I DO like the look and sound, although I'll have to "hear" the diff when using stock vs. aftermarket headers.

Another deep slip-on is the V&H Monster Oval. Check'em out. The only issue with those in my book is the size of them. Easy to scrape as they kinda line up with the side of bags (or at least come close).
I've seen these come up a few times, too.

As far as air... i use the Ness big sucker and haven't seen any issues myself.
Arlen Ness Big Sucker. Got it.

Tuner options? think about Auto tuning functions. They cost more up front but perform well over all.

The PC-V with or without auto-tuning module is really popular.

I personally use the Zippers Thundermax. Really expensive but nice. It is an ECM replacement.
In terms of mods, the extent of my performance mods would be: exhaust, air kit and fuel commander.

The Auto-tuning seems to be the easiest, but I want to keep my expenditures down, if possible. The PC-V sounds like it may be what I want.

Oh yea... Didn't see you mention it but DON'T FORGET THE HEADERS when talking about your stage 1.
Is this really necessary? What are the drawbacks if I don't do it?

Options Options Options...
Tell me about it!

Thanks, Brettcr. Good stuff here.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
No issue with your request. Not sure why some people have to act like moderators. If you don't like the post then move on. Why even bother to post or read the thread if your not interested. Fuel Moto has some great sounding slip on's but you will need to get rid of the CAT too.
Yep, you got me, i'm trying to be a moderator. because that's all i have in life is to troll around forums and harass people

here's an idea: i was stressing the fact that between search and google, there are a ton of threads on exhaust with tons of information. there are clips on you tube, and companies like fuel moto.

the last i checked, whether i like the thread or not i can still comment. some of us are sick of hearing "pulled the trigger" and "which exhaust, oil, chaps, gloves, tires, air cleaner, tuner, etc" threads. its ****ing douchebags with too much money and time on a forum taht are really wearing me thin. i wear my name on my shirt and get dirty for a living. everything i have is because of working hard or the military has provided it to me. so kiss my red, white, and blue ***.

OP, you'll probably end up with fuel moto stuff anyway, so call them.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
McGillea
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RUSH slash-cut slip-ons are deep sounding on my bike. Think bass drum and floor tom not snare and hi-hat. They will bark (imagine German Shepard not Chihuahua) when the throttle is WFO. Butt.....I did remove the CAT from the stock exhaust system. I feel its a good sounding/performing exhaust system for not alot of money.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 259 Likes on 127 Posts

Do yourself a huge favor, and go to a dealer on a nice Saturday morning, and listen to a few bikes before you do anything. Sound is pretty subjective. Some guys on here liked Vance & Hines Monster Ovals. I hated them when I heard them. I had Rush with a 2.5 baffle on my Classic. (I now have Rinehart True Duals on an Ultra.) Some guys didn't like the Rush, but I do. When you hear something, you'll be able to say, "that's what I want, right there."

Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ironman2011
I basically went the same route, slipons first, then Stage 1 later. Didn't really get the deep rumble till I got rid of the cat.
Arrggghhhh! Say it ain't so!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I actually had the same question and appreciate the great responses. I have a 2011 EG Ultra Classic and, due to being financially challenged, would also like to get to the stage 1 in steps.
Sounds like I can do the slip on's without further mods or additional costs.
Then comes the big bang with upgraded A/C, de-catted exhaust, and tuner at the same time.

At the risk of a dumb question....what is the advantage of purchasing head pipes (any brand) over the stock head pipes that have the cat removed?? I see them selling on eBay, etc.Do the aftermarket head pipes flow better, look better???

Great forum and great reading!!

Thanks,

Carl

Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
its ****ing douchebags with too much money and time on a forum that are really wearing me thin. i wear my name on my shirt and get dirty for a living. everything i have is because of working hard or the military has provided it to me. so kiss my red, white, and blue ***.
Wow, stupid_rope. Get a grip, man. What are you saying? Do you hear yourself? This a very presumptuous remark to make about a person whom you don't even know. I think you owe KCFLHTK (and all the other thread subscribers) an apology.

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
the last i checked, whether i like the thread or not i can still comment.
Agreed, but be civil about it. KCFLHTK made his point without being harsh or rude and without making it personal.

Quick Reply: Deep Rumble Slip-On Mufflers for a Pre-Stage 1 Install?