Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
most dealers would be out of business if they just sold bikes. chicago harley has a store on the magnificent mile in chicago that just sells tshirts and a few other lil trinkets..no parts no bikes. rent is outrageous but they make it.
Emerald City Harley in Seattle and Orlando Harley at Disney same way. They only sell Harley merchandise, no bikes, no parts.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pargenz
I'd just as soon not pay high prices anywhere.
But the reality is that there are people, fellow citizens, working at the dealerships. They all want to earn enough to have a certain standard of living, as we all do.
If we all want to earn as much as possible, while paying as little as possible... well, that's a recipe for outsourcing every job that can be outsourced.
I'm OK with paying more if it means that my friends and neighbors are employed.
....lets not forget that the majority of the clothes, accessories, trinkets/parts are made in China.
So who is really getting the bulk of the "work " and employment.
I know it is very hard, if not damn near impossible to "buy-american" anymore.
I dont mind paying for something at a higher cost if I know for sure the $$$ and higher prices are going to American jobs and taxes and profit...but I dont get it...
I just sometimes feel like I am being gouged or swindled whenever I walk through the door at the dealer and drop $100 on a cap and a couple of T-shirts that cost a pittance to produce compared to what they are selling the stuff for...and it aint even made in the US.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddio
....lets not forget that the majority of the clothes, accessories, trinkets/parts are made in China.

I just sometimes feel like I am being gouged or swindled whenever I walk through the door at the dealer and drop $100 on a cap and a couple of T-shirts that cost a pittance to produce compared to what they are selling the stuff for...and it aint even made in the US.
It is an outrage and because Harley has such a tight hold on it's logos, we don't get the consumer's advantage of competitive prices. If a store started selling Harley t shirts at fair prices, how many customers would be back in the dealership buying them?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
It is an outrage and because Harley has such a tight hold on it's logos, we don't get the consumer's advantage of competitive prices. If a store started selling Harley t shirts at fair prices, how many customers would be back in the dealership buying them?
Yeah, but who wants a Harley T-shirt with the Wal-Mart logo on the back?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
Yeah, but who wants a Harley T-shirt with the Wal-Mart logo on the back?
they would be made in China too.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hefty accessory mark-up’s and the continued new model price increases are 2 things we can always count on.

Can you even imagine what your Harley will cost new in about 10 years? Providing Harley is still in business. Would you bet on it?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
Hefty accessory mark-up’s and the continued new model price increases are 2 things we can always count on.

Can you even imagine what your Harley will cost new in about 10 years? Providing Harley is still in business. Would you bet on it?
Good news is used bike prices will increase proportionally.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Good news is used bike prices will increase proportionally.
That's a good point but if the economy continues to decline there will be fewer used as well as new scoots sold.

Worldwide retail unit sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles for 2009 were down 30.1 percent compared to the year-ago quarter. Retail new Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales in the U.S. were down 35.1 percent for the same period.

Harley-Davidson expects to ship between 221,000 & 228,000 motorcycles worldwide in 2011, which is up 8% over last year’s figure, but still pales in comparison to the numbers the Milwaukee brand was posting before the economic collapse (303,479 in 2008). Since 2006, sales at Harley-Davdison have continued to slide, but the most dramatic affect was in 2010, where sales were down 30% compared to before the recession (over 36% in the domestic market).

Last edited by shortride; 07-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not seeing that same picture in the slides from HD's first quarter update in April. Maybe I'm missing something...

Here is a link to a PDF of the slides:
http://*******.com/62fex84

Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
That's a good point but if the economy continues to decline there will be fewer used as well as new scoots sold.

Worldwide retail unit sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles for 2009 were down 30.1 percent compared to the year-ago quarter. Retail new Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales in the U.S. were down 35.1 percent for the same period.

Harley-Davidson expects to ship between 221,000 & 228,000 motorcycles worldwide in 2011, which is up 8% over last year’s figure, but still pales in comparison to the numbers the Milwaukee brand was posting before the economic collapse (303,479 in 2008). Since 2006, sales at Harley-Davdison have continued to slide, but the most dramatic affect was in 2010, where sales were down 30% compared to before the recession (over 36% in the domestic market).
Harley is struggling but its competitors are not in a better position. If you look at Polaris/Victory which is targeting the same market, their On-Road Division 2010 WW revenue was $82M. If I take an average of $13K per bike shipped to their dealers, you do the math.
And I'm being very generous here cause Polaris On-Road Division includes also 4 wheelers, not only Victory bikes, and the total Revenue is also comprised of parts, accessories and apparel. Even if I consider that 100% of their revenue is made of new bikes sales, it doesn't represent more than 6,000 new bikes. Compared to HD's 220,000 new bikes shipped last year, they're a pimple on an elephant's @ss.

Quick Reply: Harley pricing