Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Torque Cones"...not for me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Vivid Glide 103
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Torque Cones"...not for me.

I noticed a drop in "perkiness" when I went from stock to my RC Components 4" slip-ons, so when I saw the torque cones on the Dennis Kirk website I thought it would be a cost effective way to get it back.

First the install...I am running 2009 stock head pipes, are the cones supposed to be used with stock head pipes? Of course not. The stock head pipes are concave at the end, I guess to seat better in the exhaust port, so they actually insert into the opening a little. Well, the cones sit flat against the opening meaning that about 3/8-1/2 inch of header pipe had to go to. Let the grinding commence!! Gnawed off enough to finally seat the pipes and connect/clamp the pipes in place.

The result...noticeable improvement in "perkiness", which I liked...unfortunately it was the only thing I liked about them...they killed the exhaust sound I had payed soooo much to get, there was almost no exhaust coming out of the left pipe at idle. I never felt an exhaust leak but the sound coming from the front of the engine couldn't be anything but...horrible sound. It sounded choked...I was honestly worried that they were creating too much backpressure and were going to blow out some gaskets or something. And finally, the retention of heat in the engine was insane! There was easily a 30* increase on my right thigh, very hot!!!

So with all that said...I took them out. Anyone willing to pay shipping can have them, slightly used, had them on for 5 days, maybe 100 miles.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Quite the sales pitch...I think I'll pass.

Good luck finding your torque.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is my understanding that they are not needed in the twin cams due to a redesign of the exhaust ports of the head. They do help with the evo. But I am not a mechanic, I just play one in my own garage.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get Big City Thunder QQ baffles (the look like small cones). Gives the torque you're looking for, as well as a great exhaust note.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:00 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Vivid Glide 103
I noticed a drop in "perkiness" when I went from stock to my RC Components 4" slip-ons, so when I saw the torque cones on the Dennis Kirk website I thought it would be a cost effective way to get it back.

First the install...I am running 2009 stock head pipes, are the cones supposed to be used with stock head pipes? Of course not. The stock head pipes are concave at the end, I guess to seat better in the exhaust port, so they actually insert into the opening a little. Well, the cones sit flat against the opening meaning that about 3/8-1/2 inch of header pipe had to go to. Let the grinding commence!! Gnawed off enough to finally seat the pipes and connect/clamp the pipes in place.

The result...noticeable improvement in "perkiness", which I liked...unfortunately it was the only thing I liked about them...they killed the exhaust sound I had payed soooo much to get, there was almost no exhaust coming out of the left pipe at idle. I never felt an exhaust leak but the sound coming from the front of the engine couldn't be anything but...horrible sound. It sounded choked...I was honestly worried that they were creating too much backpressure and were going to blow out some gaskets or something. And finally, the retention of heat in the engine was insane! There was easily a 30* increase on my right thigh, very hot!!!

So with all that said...I took them out. Anyone willing to pay shipping can have them, slightly used, had them on for 5 days, maybe 100 miles.

So what are you doing about your boogered up head pipes, aftermarket?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Vivid Glide 103
Cruiser

It is some sales pitch, huh? Not trying to sale, just posting my experience with them. I have no problem tossing them out.

As far as the QQ baffles, too spendy for me. I will just suck it up until I do stage one and get it back from the front end.

There is nothing wrong with the head pipes, there is just a little less than there was. They still seat properly, seal perfectly and everything. I do want to get V&H Power Duals eventually.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Torque cones are meant for drag pipes or any open, unbaffled exhaust system. Putting them in a system with baffles or mufflers such as yours will produce exactly the results you encountered. Not many touring guys will want them since so few of you guys run straight pipes due to the loss of low end torque (where a bagger needs it the most). Put them on ebay. Your ought to get most of your money back.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque cones/power cones are a band-aid for a shity exhaust system, besides, the restriction needs to be at the other end.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

i will pay shipping and try them

Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Unfortunately, even with a high quality stepped header pipe like the Vance and Hines Pro Pipe, you will lose some of what you are calling that low perkiness (Torque) on a simple stage one: Pipes, Air Intake and Tuner only once you remove the stock header. In the cat models it is more noticable, but the up side is that the bikes run soooo much cooler. The more folks I talk to with newer 96" baggers the more I hear about the disappointment. Thats why so many end up moving up to cams and other mods and are not satisfied with the simple stage 1 alone. I also noticed a loss of that snap in my 2010 FLHX but there is no more lean stumble, no more excessive heat and she has more than enough good roll on power. I accept the trade off.

Last edited by Rickr01; 07-07-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: "Torque Cones"...not for me.