Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help from all you baggers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Go with a Glide! I have an EG with the batwing. Put an 8 inch windshield on her. Low enough to see over, but high enough to block most of the wind. The top of the stock shield hit me right at eye level (5'10"). It distorted things a bit depending on if you looked up or down.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
You just opened a can of worms, I've had both and personally prefer the RG, but you really need to take each model for a real test ride to see which one is for you. If your local dealer doesn't do test rides, then rent each one for a who
le day and ride it the way you plan, make your decision that way.
except I think the RG takes a longer ride than a normal test ride to get the feel of it , thinking to make a informed decision almost going to take a day rental at least, love the RG now but when I took that first test ride about 20 miles really didnt care for the way it felt, but when I got to ride one a bit longer it started feeling much more natural .

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
coiledup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Go with a Glide!" Ya think?

Stay away from the Fugly.... Your going to hate it. They handle like crap. There no where near as cool as the street glide. You will be embarrassed every where you go. Your riding buddies will abandon you every chance they get. Your ol lady will up and leave you, and your dog will bite you every time it sees you. Hopefully I got to you soon enough to prevent a senseless tragedy. They are heavy and slow, and they put off a really bad smell when exposed to the heat.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
MB-WideGlide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went and talked with my salesmen ,about the road glide. But I'm only 5'7" ,maybe the r/g is not for me? maybe a street glide would be better? I'm trading in my 2010 Wide glide for R/G or S/G ?? Don't know what to do now..after reading this

Old 07-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MB-WideGlide
I just went and talked with my salesmen ,about the road glide. But I'm only 5'7" ,maybe the r/g is not for me? maybe a street glide would be better? I'm trading in my 2010 Wide glide for R/G or S/G ?? Don't know what to do now..after reading this
Street Glide definitely sits lower. Adjustments can be made to lower the RG via seat, lowering kit, air ride or any combination of the 3.

I'm 5'-7" also with a 29" inseam. SG fit me better. Just sayin'.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

1: You won't regret trading for any Touring bike (especially if you love 80 mph riding).

2: Be aware you won't hear the radio at 80 mph unless you hook up some head phones.
(I've done the big amp thing and there is just to much wind noise)

3: At 6'6" you will probably feel more comfy on a Road Glide.

4: Just test ride both, it's all about how YOU feel anyway.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM
harleyiron80
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fatboy to a electra miss the boy but loving the electra

Old 07-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Rent them and ride them the way you normally would ride. Its the best way to decide what fits you and your riding style. I came off a SuperGlide with a detachable windshield that I just left on the bike. I test road several baggers and settled on the Road Glide Ultra. It just fit me and handled all I gave it. I have not regretted it at all. Again, you need to put the seat in the saddle and ride them to decide for you. As for those posting about being vertically challenged.... I am 5'8'' with a 30 inch inseam. The Road Glide Ultra fits me just fine. Of course I am wearing logger boots to hit the pavement flat, but any bike can be modified.

Last edited by Drat; 07-07-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 PM
StCRider
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
1: You won't regret trading for any Touring bike (especially if you love 80 mph riding).

2: Be aware you won't hear the radio at 80 mph unless you hook up some head phones.
(I've done the big amp thing and there is just to much wind noise)

3: At 6'6" you will probably feel more comfy on a Road Glide.

4: Just test ride both, it's all about how YOU feel anyway.
Best answer, yet. The frame mounted fairing is superior for lots of highway driving. Base your decision on your type of riding and favorite style.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I went for a Street Glide after having a Softtail Standard. Loved the standard but don't regret making the change at all. I love my SG even more and will never go back to a smaller bike. Too many great things, storage, radio, comfort, looks etc.....

As far as RG vs SG..... it's whatever makes you the happiest, as you are the one riding the bike. Do a test ride, buy the bike and never look back.

Oh yes and buy a backrest. Best money I spent on the bike.

Last edited by julesdain; 07-07-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: A little help from all you baggers