Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to remove radio & use just my smart phone

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Want to remove radio & use just my smart phone

I was talking with a buddy of mine & we got to talking over the radio's in our bikes. He has a SG and I really do not use my radio for anything else then to run my smart phone into the speakers. I use my smart phone for everything music & navigation and yes even to push "ignore" when out riding.

So the question is how can I remove the radio and just run my smart phone into the sound system ?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you just buy a 3.5mm plug from Radio Shack/Best Buy and use the AUX input of the radio?

You can also get a holder for your radio that will put the phone on your handle bar.

Mike

Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
So the question is how can I remove the radio and just run my smart phone into the sound system ?
....... the radio IS the sound system. Take SG Mike's suggestion & patch your phone into the aux. port & then mount it on the bars.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

I'm guessing by the statement " I really do not use my radio for anything else then to run my smart phone into the speakers" he's already using the AUX jack. If you want to remove the radio, you will need some sort of amp to push the speakers, the radio is where they get their power from and your smart phone won't have enough wattage to push them alone. I thought those bikes already had hog tunes amps in them. I'm not sure though. If there is, all you have to do is split your chord for the aux jack and wire it into your inputs to the amp.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about the same thing. Plug and play into the amp and be done. Install the glove box to cover the hole. I was all ready to do it till I forgot I had Bluetooth on my radio. Now I just throw it all in the pack and let it play. Great idea though, you will get enough money selling that junk HK to buy an amp. Just get the part # for the glove box and drill a hole in the back for your jack attachment. Pretty simple.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are already using your smart phone and its working for you, why bother to remove the radio, you will have to cover the hole in the dash, and if you should decide to sell or trade your bike you will have to hook everything back up again, and hopefully you won't loose any parts. I think you would be better off just to continue with what you are doing...jmho.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

All good points, & yes I use the AUX jack at the moment to plug my phone into the system.
Just food for thought Its a 2000 Ultra Classic I would have to open up the fairing (not a hard thing) to look for the amp's but I don't remember one, last time I had it opened.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought this radio and it holds my iPod or iPhone as well as charges it. If you get a kit from biketronics you can also use your hand controls

Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
I bought this radio and it holds my iPod or iPhone as well as charges it. If you get a kit from biketronics you can also use your hand controls
That's a pretty sweet set-up. Wish I had seen that before i bought my CD player.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Second that stereo. Have one in my aftermarket fairing and love it. Really simple to use. Four of my buddies also have one version or another of it as well. Got mine from cruchfield open box for half off.

Quick Reply: Want to remove radio & use just my smart phone