Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HD Battery Service Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New HD Battery Service Bulletin

Just took my HD branded battery back to my local dealer that is less than 3 months old because it wasnt holding a charge, believe it has some bad cells. Put it on charger for an entire day and voltage never goes past 11, within 30 minutes of taking it off charge voltage drops to around 6 and an hour or so later it drops to 2 volts.

Was told that HD had just released a battery service bulletin stating they must charge battery for 24 hours and then put on load test and print the results out and send back with battery for them to get remimburesed.

Anybody heard of this or got a copy of it? Seems sorta ridiculous for me to have to wait that long, but then again, I didnt push them for a replacement immediate replacement either.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default battery

Must be a defective battery. Mine is 3 years old and still going strong. In the begining I didn't even put it on a battery minder

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Many oem batteries last 5 years or more. Mine lasted 4. A buddy replaced his with an HD battery and it didn't last a year.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap - I just got a battery in February that lasted until June - my stator grommet was leaking so I dropped $500 for a Cycle Electrics stator, rotor and regulator. Would be funny if my battery is defective...will charge it and see if it holds a charge - if not, it's going back to the dealer. Hope I don't have to buy another one...

No biggy, rather do this now than the stator crap out on a trip.

Last edited by sargek; 07-06-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Doe not seem right to me that HD would question a dealers service dept on a battery. You may have had better luck if you had taken the bike to them and let them do it all. Your dealer may bejerking you around because you removed it and brought it to him.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was told that HD had just released a battery service bulletin stating they must charge battery for 24 hours and then put on load test and print the results out and send back with battery for them to get remimburesed.

Sounds like a way to discourage owners from making warranty claims on batteries.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:47 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Many oem batteries last 5 years or more. Mine lasted 4. A buddy replaced his with an HD battery and it didn't last a year.
I bought a replacement HD glass mat battery in 2005 for my Softail and 6 years later it's still going strong. I use a standard battery tender that puts out 14.5 volts, and is hooked up to the battery anytime the bike isn't on the road.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:52 PM
HDOHFLHX103
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

My 2003 Sportster was always hooked up to the battery tender when I wasnt riding it. And it has lasted 8 years so far still going strong. Had Harley test it for me.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain

i just had mine replaced tues for not holding a charge, hope this one last longer then the first did, nothing was said about any bulletins. although it never dropped below 12v when i checked it. the charger would never shut off.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well I think that HD wants the test and read out is because there are so many parts changers out there and they probley get back a lot of good parts claimed as defective , and it will take over night on a slow charge to fully charge a battery right but to make a long story short , the dealer should be able to tell pretty quick

Quick Reply: New HD Battery Service Bulletin