Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the rear brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to an indy about mounting and bleeding the rear brake on my '09 Ultra Classic with ABS. He said unfortunately the Digital Technican II is a must have when bleeding brakes on an ABS sytem. He also said that trying to bleed an ABS sytem will not get all of the air out of the ABS module and can cause the ABS brake to fail when you need it the most. It can cause the rear brake to lock up or not work at all.

So I guess it's to the dealer and $85 after all.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have bleed mine with ABS many times without the DT - the following explains when you have to have the dealer use the DT.

This is from the '08 Touring SM:

If motorcycle is ABS equipped,and either the ABS module or more than one brake line was removed, confirm that brake system is properly connected. To accomplish this, connect motorcycle to DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (Part No. HD-48650) and perform "ABS Service" procedure in the "Toolbox" menu.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
I have bleed mine with ABS many times without the DT - the following explains when you have to have the dealer use the DT.

This is from the '08 Touring SM:
Thanks! I didn't know Harley ABS system was around in 2008. Shows how much I don't know.

My 2009 SM states "ABS equipped motorcycles require the use of Digital Technician II HD-(48650) to confirm that the brake lines are properly connected and that air is adequately bled from ABS unit."

"WARNING! Any time the ABS module, either master cylinder, or any line between a master cylinder and the ABS module is disconnected or replaced, Digital Technician II must be used during the brake bleeding procedure. Failure to do so could result in air in the hydraulic brake system, reducing brake efficiency, which could result in death or serious injury."

Last edited by shortride; 07-12-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Had the dealer install the rear brake light switch this morning. As most of you said, the Digital Technician did not have to be used.

A $66 lesson learned.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine went out this week also. 2007 Heritage. Did a search and on other forums it's a pretty wide spread problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can cross reference that switch at an auto supply store.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 PM
05king
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the list. Today I installed the rear fender tip run/brake light on my '09 Ultra and when testing it out, I noticed the foot brake pedal did not engage the brake lights. The front lever works fine. After reading several entries here, I guess my switch is now toast. Warranty ran out this week too. Harley life is so much fun!!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
You can cross reference that switch at an auto supply store.
I tried and went to 5 different auto parts stores and if your willing to wait a day or two you can save 10.00. Not really worth it. Went to the dealer and it was 21.00 with tax.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My name is cotton hill and I'm a member of the "Harley rear brake light switch Anonymous".

My switch went out on the way to work Wed. I hit the cruse and nothing. Checked it out and found switch in the ON position. Got a new one at the dealer $26.
2008 RG w/46,000 miles.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me and my '09 Road King Classic in this list too. I will replace it at some point in time.

Quick Reply: Replacing the rear brake light switch