Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the rear brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When mine stuck on I unpluged one wire from the switch, to make it home. Now I kind of like having only the front brake control the brake light. I use the rear brake in parking lots and gas stations or any very low speed riding and do not need the brake light on for that. I may leave it this way for now.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0 napa auto parts stores have all kinds of switches. they run about $10. take the old switch out and put the new one in. when the new one is out put your finger over the hole to block the fluid, take the new one and put it in. have the new one out of the box and ready to go. simple as that.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I repalced my on the road one time without bleeding....Hold a little presssure on the break pedal and remove the switch and put the new one in....Very little fuild lost and I bet most dealer do it this way and charge you for bleeding the brakes.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
I repalced my on the road one time without bleeding....Hold a little presssure on the break pedal and remove the switch and put the new one in....Very little fuild lost and I bet most dealer do it this way and charge you for bleeding the brakes.
+1 and I have bled my rear brake twice now without the Dig Tech. I also have ABS and my brakes still operate perfectly.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 on ebay, i replaced it with a quick swap brakkes are fine with no bleed

Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
METALKAT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just went at 6700 miles, going to try the Advanced Auto Parts version (thanks Artlee).

I don't have ABS but as for bleeding I use a 2' piece of clear 1/4" hose and a clear jar. Place one end of the hose over the bleeder valve and the other end in the jar, then pour enough brake fluid in the jar to completely cover the hose end. Crack open the bleeder valve, slowly pump the brake and watch the air bubbles come through the hose and bubble in the fluid in the jar. Keep doing until no more air then close the valve. As long as the other end of the hose stays in the fluid no air gets in. Learned that on my 69 Mustang back in the day. Think I'll try some sort of heat shield too.

The following users liked this post:
esteboatan (11-30-2017)
Old 07-09-2011, 07:18 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I probably wouldn't have a problem taking some of your suggestions if it wasn't for the ABS. If I ever have to use the ABS in a panic situation and the rear brake fails because of the slightest bit of air in the system I may not have to worry about saving a few bucks.

It just doesn't seem like it would take the dealer an hour to install a new switch and bleed the brakes. It's probably not a case of taking that long as it is charging for an hour.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, peace of mind is worth a few bucks for sure. An old time HD tech taught me the trick of holding the brake pedal down a little before removing the switch and it does work....No air gets into the lines and you lose hardley any fluid.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:14 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I flushed the whole system anyway, no need for digitech, flushed a whole bottle of brake fluid through system (supposed to be done every two years anyway). Waited til it started raining then went and tested ABS no problem.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess I'm on the list now as well. Mine went out, dealer will replace it under warranty next week.

Quick Reply: Replacing the rear brake light switch