Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

With all this talk about the Prestone Glide I was curious if the oil cooler supposed to be on the new bikes would satisfy the new "more stringent" 2013 EPA requirements. All of us have seen the water cooled heads sketch, but was curious if the cooler might be an attempt to keep from it.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain

Did I ask the question wrong?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I think they will avoid the water cooling as long as permittable, but putting an oil cooler on every bike for a couple years will not prevent it from happening eventually. By waiting until they went 103 to make an oil cooler standard equipment, HD can claim the additional displacement is the justification, without admitting that all the Twin Cams should have had an OEM cooler. It is not impossible to develop another new generation air cooled motor that would satisfy the EPA, but water cooling will be cheaper.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I think they will avoid the water cooling as long as permittable, but putting an oil cooler on every bike for a couple years will not prevent it from happening eventually. By waiting until they went 103 to make an oil cooler standard equipment, HD can claim the additional displacement is the justification, without admitting that all the Twin Cams should have had an OEM cooler. It is not impossible to develop another new generation air cooled motor that would satisfy the EPA, but water cooling will be cheaper.
S&S did it already.

Last edited by qtrracer; 07-05-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added a word.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Again, if the bikes not moving, the oil cooler is just a decoration.......Fuel management system with high flow a/f, get rid of the cat in the header, some Mobil 1 or the like and your be fine....

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Again, if the bikes not moving, the oil cooler is just a decoration.......Fuel management system with high flow a/f, get rid of the cat in the header, some Mobil 1 or the like and your be fine....
This isn't a "how do I keep my bike cool" thread, but thanks for sharing your opinions, even though you are dead wrong about the oil cooler.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain

So basically my answer is H-D will have to redesign or water cool to meet the new EPA mark?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman5218
So basically my answer is H-D will have to redesign or water cool to meet the new EPA mark?
What exactly is the new EPA mark going to be compared to what it is now?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 AM
eazyduzzit
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably a stupid question. I've only been a Harley owner for a few months.
Why would Harley resist building a water cooled touring motor? My last bike was water cooled and it never gave any trouble at all. In fact, I would guess most late model big bikes other than Harley are water cooled. It seems like the sensible thing to do.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
This is probably a stupid question. I've only been a Harley owner for a few months.
Why would Harley resist building a water cooled touring motor? My last bike was water cooled and it never gave any trouble at all. In fact, I would guess most late model big bikes other than Harley are water cooled. It seems like the sensible thing to do.
Tradition.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler vs. Radiator