Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
This is probably a stupid question. I've only been a Harley owner for a few months.
Why would Harley resist building a water cooled touring motor? My last bike was water cooled and it never gave any trouble at all. In fact, I would guess most late model big bikes other than Harley are water cooled. It seems like the sensible thing to do.

Nice bike!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM
bmcgc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You can't compare a 1800cc horizontally opposed V6 to a 1600cc V-Twin.
Look where the engine is located on the GW and where it is on the Ultra. You're sitting on top of the engine on a HD, not on a GW.

What I'd like to see is a comparison of engine temp between a water cooled V-Twin and a HD V-Twin.in stop and go traffic. Not what the rider feels but what the actual temp of the engine is. Plus, keep in mind that the lower fairings trap the heat around your legs. Take them off in summer and you'll feel the difference.
The GW is a flat six not a V6.

I had 2 1800 VTXs. They stay right at 185 degrees moving or sitting still. Hands down they run cooler than the big air cooled twins in all conditions.

Thats a huge bonus, but they also weigh more, have a higher center of gravity, dont handle as well, and dont have near the comfort as the Harley touring bikes, or have near the accessories available.

My 1800 VTXs were great looking bikes and cost under 10k new OTD. They were horrible touring bikes and horrible handeling bikes. They just didnt do anything well, thats why i bought an FLH.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcgc
The GW is a flat six not a V6.

I had 2 1800 VTXs. They stay right at 185 degrees moving or sitting still. Hands down they run cooler than the big air cooled twins in all conditions.

Thats a huge bonus, but they also weigh more, have a higher center of gravity, dont handle as well, and dont have near the comfort as the Harley touring bikes, or have near the accessories available.

My 1800 VTXs were great looking bikes and cost under 10k new OTD. They were horrible touring bikes and horrible handeling bikes. They just didnt do anything well, thats why i bought an FLH.
You're right. I must have had a brain fart cause I know damn well the engine on the Goldwing ain't a V6.

I owned a Kawasaki Nomad for 8 years. It was as hot as my Ultra. The only difference is it didn't have lower fairings to trap the heat around my legs but the engine itself was not running cooler.
I know several guys who bought the new Kawasaki Voyager. They all say the bike is very hot.

You forgot to mention that the VTX 1800 sounds like sh*t. Its dual crankpin doesn't cut it. The japanese can imitate Harley all they want, they'll never come close to replicating their sound.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 07-08-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
CWO4
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havn't found anything about future "more stringent" EPA motorcycle requirements. Anyone have the facts?

Originally Posted by iceman5218
With all this talk about the Prestone Glide I was curious if the oil cooler supposed to be on the new bikes would satisfy the new "more stringent" 2013 EPA requirements. All of us have seen the water cooled heads sketch, but was curious if the cooler might be an attempt to keep from it.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Sitting in traffic, however, will not push the engine to that point, which is what was being brought up. I don't think anyone here was talking about extreme racing conditions.
I was stuck in traffic behind a Saturn in Sturgis one time when its radiator did an "Old Faithful", spewing coolant all over the road in front of me... hardly "extreme racing conditions". I also see cars overheated up in the mountains all the time.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

But, do you know how the car was maintained?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the gold wing was a boxer 6 or a horazontialy opposed 6 cylinder...

Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Markk9
But, do you know how the car was maintained?
All I can say is that it had plenty of coolant judging by the amount it spewed out, which was a lot.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 AM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWO4
I havn't found anything about future "more stringent" EPA motorcycle requirements. Anyone have the facts?

I was referring to an article I was reading that said all motor vehicles (I think, it might include my mower) with Internal Combustion Engines must decrease emissions by 20-30%. Just go talk to any cage dealer and they will know (plus get a min of 20 mpg city i.e. Ford EcoBoost Powerplant). Will go back and look for the article if need be.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Tooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say what you will. bitch complain etc....if HD makes watercooled engines they will sell......1) because its a harley and 2) What else you going to buy? A space ship Victory?

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler vs. Radiator