Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Sweetglide08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
Tradition.
Hell YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Sweetglide08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus if we water cool them and blah blah blah, then they will look as gay as the jap bikes, and pry sound gayer.... Nah I'll just keep what I got and if it ever breaks rebuild it better etc....

Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Hey - if you have a better idea, lets hear it.
Here's an idea, stop worrying about engine temp and EPA regulations and just ride the damn thing! Be happy with what you've got and accept it for what it is or get something else.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Isnt a case of need - its a case of want - and a case of keeping up with both EPA regs and the competition.

HD is losing market share - that's a fact. They're losing it to bikes which cost about as much, but produce more power and/or weigh substantially less
A case of want? I don't want water cooling crap and 000s of HD owners are like me. Been there, done that, it was not cooler than my Harley under the same conditions.

Now, who exactly is HD losing market share to? Not the japanese for sure. I know dozens of metric owners who have switched to Harley (I'm one of them and I'm not the only one here). How many Harley owners switch to metric?
Now if you're referring to Victory, I have news for you. They're not water cooled either.
In any case, Victory's revenue for 2010 was equivalent to 6,000 new bikes vs. 220,000 for the MOCO. Big friggin' deal!

Last edited by frenchbiker; 07-08-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by iceman5218
Is the 103" camless? Hadn't heard that?
"Camless" = 96" cams

Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
I can assure you that liquid cooled engines overheat too, and it's not just a result of poor maintenance. You CAN push an engine to the point where the cooling system cannot compensate.
Sitting in traffic, however, will not push the engine to that point, which is what was being brought up. I don't think anyone here was talking about extreme racing conditions.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer

For the record, Harley could maintain air cooling and increase power while decreasing emissions if they redesigned their motors for direct injection. Just a thought...

Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Sitting in traffic, however, will not push the engine to that point, which is what was being brought up. I don't think anyone here was talking about extreme racing conditions.
Show me the numbers proving that a water cooled bike sitting in traffic is significantly cooler than a Harley. Mine was not. If you visit metric bikes forums, you'll see that the owners roast on their bike when they don't move, the same way we do. Maybe with the exception of the Goldwing but I'm talking V-Twin cruisers/tourers here.

There must be engine temp measurements, no? I'd like to see them.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
For the record, Harley could maintain air cooling and increase power while decreasing emissions if they redesigned their motors for direct injection. Just a thought...
There are a lot of design concepts and technology that could be employed to keep our beloved traditional air-cooled pushrod engine viable for many more years to come. Unfortunately that would take away from the profit margin, its just the nature of business. Many times I have seen a better design fall to the wayside in the intrest of time or financial gain, Sometimes the best simply is not cost effective for the producer or the consumer.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

With the A/C, exhaust, PCV, and oil cooler I don't have any problems riding in Houston. My bike is my daily driver. I've owned lots of other Harleys one as old as 1959 as well as sportbikes of various Jap and Euro brands even a couple of Goldwings. I enjoyed them all. My current bike is by far my favorite. I had a Honda VTX before this one. I won't spend time talking about the fit and finish (sucked). The motor did not ever overheat in 2 years. It made good power. It was not much more comfortable for the rider because the fan blew the heat across my legs. I hated the bloop, bloop, bloop sound of the motor. I will probably keep my current bike forever and just keep rebuilding the engine as needed. If I need a spaceship as well I'll pick up that new BMW K1600 with the inline 6. My stepfather's is delivered in August. 160hp +. But I won't expect it to be any more reliable.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler vs. Radiator