Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooth
If you have ever road a Rocket and got on the throttle you will find you dont need to get laid after the ride......
I know, they're powerful. I owned a VMax with a 1200cc engine and it would have run circles around this 2,300cc behemoth. Like I said, displacement means squat, at least to me.
By the way, I always enjoy some "action" after a ride.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
tradition, appearance, weight

I too have owned water cooled bikes, and the models I have owed, the fan pushed the hot air on my legs.
I sincerely doubt weight is even remotely on HD's radar as a consideration.

Tradition and appearance? Absolutely. Weight? Not a chance.

They could shave 100lbs off any of the big twins and nobody would notice the difference in appearance, but they don't do it because members of the Church of Willie G. would lose their minds.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by SkipCarey
I dont know what HDs reasons are. but here is something to think about.......
I do - its all the buyers who say they wont get one if HD goes liquid cooled.
Have you ever had a car engine overheat?Sure everyone has sooner or later.......
A liquid cooled car? Nope - never have. Had my 72 Beetle overheat a few times, but nothing with a radiator.

Of course, I do such silly things as ensure proper coolant levels and I make sure to follow maintenance intervals...
water cooling brings a whole bunch of problems as a Motorcycle ages ,as the bike ages it becomes a whole lot less reliable as opposed to air cooling especially with the vibration a Vtwin makes.I kinda like the parade fan solution You can keep the whole water buffaloe idea as far as Im concerned.........
Really? Like what? Honestly - i'd love to hear what the "whole bunch of problems" are. This of course assumes proper maintenance. If you choose not to properly maintain your bike and it breaks, that's your own fault.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
Really? Like what? Honestly - i'd love to hear what the "whole bunch of problems" are. This of course assumes proper maintenance. If you choose not to properly maintain your bike and it breaks, that's your own fault.
I guess that is like saying a bike with security, ABS, Cruise Control, maintained correctly will not have added problems. Yet, you only have to read this forum once a day to see that the added complexity of our bikes created added maintenance and problems. My cruise is acting up and I don't even think about replacing my brake fluid anymore because of the ABS. I imagine the 1995 Touring Maintenance Manual is half as thick as my 2009 manual. How many more pages will be added with water cooling. We can only imagine the fixes for the water cooled engine that will come from the problems found during the first year.

This discussion reminds me why the Navy chose to keep the radial aircooled engine on all their airplanes during WWII because of their relabilty against failures and to save form the added maintenance of the watercooled engines the Air Forces (Army Air Corp) was experiencing. The Air Force needed twice the skills and twice the space to maintain their airplane as a result of the added complexity of the engines they were using. The Navy was willing to sacrifice performance of their planes for the reliability of the engines.

Based from my buddy's experience with his Honda, he spends a lot of time on his water pump, hoses, and fluids. And funny enough, he still has to watch his water temp on a hot day when he spends too much time at stop lights. Those of us with Air Cooled engines don't mind keeping him company while his coolant temp falls to a usuable level. After all, we are friends, but he should have bought a Harley.

Don't get me wrong, I see the future coming and I accept that, but lets not kid ourselves, a water cooled engine will bring more complexity, weight and problems comparied to the previous Harley Vtwin engines. It is the nature of the beast, but I am confident that MOCO will eventually get it right, I am still amazed how cool my 03 corvette runs in the hot Oklahoma summer comparied to older vetts with the reputation for running hot.

Honestly, if it not for the handleing of the new frame and ABS, I would be satisfied with a 88 twincam.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 07-07-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I sincerely doubt weight is even remotely on HD's radar as a consideration.

Tradition and appearance? Absolutely. Weight? Not a chance.

They could shave 100lbs off any of the big twins and nobody would notice the difference in appearance, but they don't do it because members of the Church of Willie G. would lose their minds.
Are you suggesting that HD replaces metal by chrome plastic and uses flimsy ABS for their TourPak and saddlebags like their japanese competitors? They can also stop putting clearcoat on the saddlebags, like for my old water cooled Kawasaki Nomad .................. which was as hot as my Ultra in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 07-07-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A liquid cooled car? Nope - never have. Had my 72 Beetle overheat a few times, but nothing with a radiator.

Of course, I do such silly things as ensure proper coolant levels and I make sure to follow maintenance intervals...
I can assure you that liquid cooled engines overheat too, and it's not just a result of poor maintenance. You CAN push an engine to the point where the cooling system cannot compensate.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Are you suggesting that HD replaces metal by chrome plastic and uses flimsy ABS for their TourPak and saddlebags like their japanese competitors? They can also stop putting clearcoat on the saddlebags, like for my old water cooled Kawasaki Nomad .................. which was as hot as my Ultra in stop and go traffic.
I'm suggesting they could go to an aluminum frame, plastic fenders, and perhaps drop a little of the chrome, yes. Those changes alone would drop over 100lbs from the bike.

BTW, they already use ABS for the tour pack and bags.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
I can assure you that liquid cooled engines overheat too, and it's not just a result of poor maintenance. You CAN push an engine to the point where the cooling system cannot compensate.
Yes, of course you can, but to claim the mere addition of water cooling, a concept which is pretty well mature and proven in cars, would somehow become a massive problem is irrational.

Might HD **** it up? Sure. Would the problem be water cooling in and of itself, or the fact that HD made a mistake?

Look at the Revolution motor. Reliable, stable, smooth, smaller than the TwinCam and a hell of a lot more power - lighter too - and oh yeah, water cooled.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, of course you can, but to claim the mere addition of water cooling, a concept which is pretty well mature and proven in cars, would somehow become a massive problem is irrational.

Might HD **** it up? Sure. Would the problem be water cooling in and of itself, or the fact that HD made a mistake?

Look at the Revolution motor. Reliable, stable, smooth, smaller than the TwinCam and a hell of a lot more power - lighter too - and oh yeah, water cooled.
Revolution motor does not have that Harley feel or sound to me, might as well buy a Honda if that is the path they are going.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by beary
I guess that is like saying a bike with security, ABS, Cruise Control, maintained correctly will not have added problems. Yet, you only have to read this forum once a day to see that the added complexity of our bikes created added maintenance and problems. My cruise is acting up and I don't even think about replacing my brake fluid anymore because of the ABS. I imagine the 1995 Touring Maintenance Manual is half as thick as my 2009 manual. How many more pages will be added with water cooling. We can only imagine the fixes for the water cooled engine that will come from the problems found during the first year.

This discussion reminds me why the Navy chose to keep the radial aircooled engine on all their airplanes during WWII because of their relabilty against failures and to save form the added maintenance of the watercooled engines the Air Forces (Army Air Corp) was experiencing. The Air Force needed twice the skills and twice the space to maintain their airplane as a result of the added complexity of the engines they were using. The Navy was willing to sacrifice performance of their planes for the reliability of the engines.

Based from my buddy's experience with his Honda, he spends a lot of time on his water pump, hoses, and fluids. And funny enough, he still has to watch his water temp on a hot day when he spends too much time at stop lights. Those of us with Air Cooled engines don't mind keeping him company while his coolant temp falls to a usuable level. After all, we are friends, but he should have bought a Harley.

Don't get me wrong, I see the future coming and I accept that, but lets not kid ourselves, a water cooled engine will bring more complexity, weight and problems comparied to the previous Harley Vtwin engines. It is the nature of the beast, but I am confident that MOCO will eventually get it right, I am still amazed how cool my 03 corvette runs in the hot Oklahoma summer comparied to older vetts with the reputation for running hot.

Honestly, if it not for the handleing of the new frame and ABS, I would be satisfied with a 88 twincam.

Beary
Liquid cooling and cruise/abs/security are completely different issues.

You want to compare something that happened when the aircraft industry was still relatively new to a modern day bike? There are a variety of other reasons the Navy would have kept radial air cooled engines in the middle of a war - no room for techs, no time to train em, no room for the added coolant and parts which would be needed, spares not exactly being close by, etc. They accepted the lower performance envelope in exchange for the lower man-power and storage requirements.

Yes, the air-cooled idea is nice. Yes, it is more reliable - no argument. However, with the reality that emissions requirements are becoming more and more stringent, and the plain fact that all of HD's competition is producing far more power, HD is eventually going to have to make the switch. No real way around it.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler vs. Radiator