Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipCarey
Oh and BTW there are a LOT of air cooled VWs still on the road after 50 plus years every design has its drawbacks and advantages
Lots of air cooled Porsche too.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen Dye
When I'm stuck in stop and go traffic in Houston, Tx. and the temps are over 100 degees, the only thing that is important to me is what the rider feels. Even with the lowers removed, sitting on top of that air cooled rear cylinder sitting still with no wind on a hot day, you are still going to feel that heat boiling up. A water cooled engine, if properly designed, can at lest remove most of that heat and blow it away form you.With a water cooled engine, if the fan isn't running constantly, then the engine is going to be at the temp that it is supposed to maintain. Considering that Wings normally last over 200K and sometimes over 300K with no troubles out of the cooling system, then I'm sure Harley can do the same thing. I know most Harley fans want to keep the looks of the air cooled V-twin. Yamaha has shown that with the exception of the radiator, the engine can be made to look the same with or without water cooling. If Harley can incorporate water jackets on the cylinders and heads and somehow hide the necessory radiators, then I think they will have the best of both worlds. If you can get most of the excess heat away from the motor and also get it away from the rider, it's going to make for both a longer lived motor and a more comfortable ride.
Comfort is important but engine failure is far more important to me. I can sweat for 10mn and I'll survive. If I blow the engine, that's more problematic and costly.

In stop and go traffic on a hot day, it's been my experience that a water cooled engine doesn't run dramatically cooler to the point of being more comfortable for the rider/passenger. I'm talking about comparable bikes, like let's say, a Kawasaki Nomad and a HD Road King. Comparing a Goldwing to an Ultra is like comparing apples and oranges.

Plus, heat comes also from the pipes and that's what used to roast my right leg and my passenger's right calf, not the engine. Water cooling will do absolutely nothing to reduce the heat of the exhaust. That's a pipe dream (pun intended).

As soon as I replaced my headers by true duals and used a richer PC-V map, the heat from the exhaust dropped very significantly.

Once again, unless someone can prove me that the head temp of a water cooled engine is significantly cooler than the head temp of an air cooled engine when stuck in traffic, I'll continue to prefer air cooled. I don't like to roast on my bike when it's stopped in traffic but it rarely happens. 90% of the time, I ride on open roads which is what I bought my bike for and heat isn't an issue.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok after going a very short google search, I think the new standards require a reduction of emissions by 20-30%. How does the temp of the engine (the purpose of air, oil, water cooled) effect the emissions of said engine?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman5218
Ok after going a very short google search, I think the new standards require a reduction of emissions by 20-30%. How does the temp of the engine (the purpose of air, oil, water cooled) effect the emissions of said engine?
Is that the new standard for motorcycles? With the current Twin Cam platform bumping up to 103 for 2012, the only way to reduce emissions another 20-30% will be to expand the closed loop cruise range, reduce the degree of enrichment in open loop, and run a larger catalytic converter. Tranlation; compliance to new EPA standards will result in more heat and less power, proportionally. Controlling temperatue will allow leaner and cleaner AFRs.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Is that the new standard for motorcycles? With the current Twin Cam platform bumping up to 103 for 2012, the only way to reduce emissions another 20-30% will be to expand the closed loop cruise range, reduce the degree of enrichment in open loop, and run a larger catalytic converter. Tranlation; compliance to new EPA standards will result in more heat and less power, proportionally. Controlling temperatue will allow leaner and cleaner AFRs.
So the question now is: Does a reduction of 25* (what a previous poster said his oil cooler accomplished at speed) meet the requirements from above or would it take a more drastic change to water cooled to fall in line with the EPA?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Have any of you guys seen the UltraCool with the built in fan? We all run them on our bikes at the shop. I find that it does a really good job of cooling and the fan is automatic. It turns on at 210* and stays on until teh oil ahs been coooled down so no matter if you are sitting still or not. Mine has been on for about 5000 miles without issue so far. Just put it on in April or so.

They make two different versions for touring bikes. The older version does not hook to the oil temp gauge, but the newer version does.

Drew

Drew

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Once again, unless someone can prove me that the head temp of a water cooled engine is significantly cooler than the head temp of an air cooled engine when stuck in traffic, I'll continue to prefer air cooled.
I have observed several water cooled bikes (my son's Honda included) pull off the road because their bikes overheated. That has happened on both the highway and in town driving, and both Vtwins and strait 4 cylinder bikes.

The way I look at the Harley cooled heads is basically just replacing the oil cooler with a little bit more efficent cooling through the heads. It is still an air cooled engine.

Beary

Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
This is true, but if the Gold Wing was the last bike on earth, I would give up riding and buy a boat.
I laughed out loud on this one! Riding is in my blood, has been for 35 years, but I would have to go your route too...no offense to GW owners, but it's Harley, air cooled, or nothing.

Here's a thought, simple perhaps, but are the displacement increases causing the cooling problems? Why go bigger and bigger? Seems like that is driving the need for more and more cooling. Guessing that's what people are asking for. My tc88 had enough for me, but obviously some folks want more.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

probably not a complete redesign but some modifications--as posted earlier S&S has 50 state legal motors if they can do it certainly HD can(QUOTE=iceman5218;8537290]So basically my answer is H-D will have to redesign or water cool to meet the new EPA mark?[/QUOTE]

Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Tooth
Cruiser

It would also be significant to watch what BMW does with its Boxer engine, as they are in the same boat with their "old faithful" design.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler vs. Radiator