Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
This is probably a stupid question. I've only been a Harley owner for a few months.
Why would Harley resist building a water cooled touring motor? My last bike was water cooled and it never gave any trouble at all. In fact, I would guess most late model big bikes other than Harley are water cooled. It seems like the sensible thing to do.
tradition, appearance, weight

I too have owned water cooled bikes, and the models I have owed, the fan pushed the hot air on my legs.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
This isn't a "how do I keep my bike cool" thread, but thanks for sharing your opinions, even though you are dead wrong about the oil cooler.
Please explain how your oil cooler cools the oil while the bike is standing still???? Does the oil cool down faster once the bikes starts moving again, yes.....but standing still unless it's equipped with a fan, it's not doing nothing.....don't need to stay at a Holiday Express to know that!!!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
This is probably a stupid question. I've only been a Harley owner for a few months.
Why would Harley resist building a water cooled touring motor? My last bike was water cooled and it never gave any trouble at all. In fact, I would guess most late model big bikes other than Harley are water cooled. It seems like the sensible thing to do.
I've had water cooled bikes too and they were as hot as my Harley in the same conditions, for example in stop and go traffic. My Ultra doesn't give me any trouble at all either.
Most late big bikes other than Harley, other than Victory, other than Indian and other than the Yamaha Road Star (best selling metric cruiser ever) are water cooled.
This means that more than 60% of the big cruisers/tourers sold in the US are either air cooled or air/oil cooled.

Bottom line is if I have the choice, I don't want a bunch of plumbing on my bike. More parts means higher risk of failure, more weight and heat is not dramatically lower.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 07-06-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Please explain how your oil cooler cools the oil while the bike is standing still???? Does the oil cool down faster once the bikes starts moving again, yes.....but standing still unless it's equipped with a fan, it's not doing nothing.....don't need to stay at a Holiday Express to know that!!!!!
The design of the oil cooler itself makes the oil cool down when it flows through it, even if the bike doesn't move. The oil cools down faster if the cooler is exposed to a flow of air, that's obvious, but even if it's not, the oil will cool down a little bit.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
tradition, appearance, weight

I too have owned water cooled bikes, and the models I have owed, the fan pushed the hot air on my legs.
Not on a Goldwing. The fans on a Wing blow the air forward away for the rider. Works great. I've been stuck in stop and go traffic at over 100 degrees on my Wing and the only heat you feel is from the air, not from the bike.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

how big does an oil cooler have to be before u call it a radiator,have u seen the oil cooler on the 1200r sporster?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen Dye
Not on a Goldwing. The fans on a Wing blow the air forward away for the rider. Works great. I've been stuck in stop and go traffic at over 100 degrees on my Wing and the only heat you feel is from the air, not from the bike.

This is true, but if the Gold Wing was the last bike on earth, I would give up riding and buy a boat.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I've had water cooled bikes too and they were as hot as my Harley in the same conditions, for example in stop and go traffic. My Ultra doesn't give me any trouble at all either.
Most late big bikes other than Harley, other than Victory, other than Indian and other than the Yamaha Road Star (best selling metric cruiser ever) are water cooled.
This means that more than 60% of the big cruisers/tourers sold in the US are either air cooled or air/oil cooled.

Bottom line is if I have the choice, I don't want a bunch of plumbing on my bike. More parts means higher risk of failure and more weight.
I would have to dissagree. I currently own a Wing and an Ultra Limited. I've been stuck in stop and go traffec for over an hour on both in large citys several times and the feel no heat from the Wing while the Limited is like sitting on an oven. This Spring I changed to ceramic coated catless pipes, free-er flowing mufflers, high flow intake and a turner. I has helped the heat some, but if I get stopped on a hot day, the Limites is still way hotter than my Wing. The Limited has a lot going for it and I really injoy riding it, but it's got to be ten times hotter in stop and go traffic than my water cooled Wing.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
how big does an oil cooler have to be before u call it a radiator,have u seen the oil cooler on the 1200r sporster?
That's a good point because the 1200r has oil cooled heads. The oil routing is a bit different from the other HD engines. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this as an interim step before full blown water cooling, however I am surprised they haven't done it already.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
This is true, but if the Gold Wing was the last bike on earth, I would give up riding and buy a boat.
To each his own. I love motorcycles, not just Harleys. I guess I just have more choises for enjoyment in this short life. Your loss.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler vs. Radiator