Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler vs. Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWO4
I havn't found anything about future "more stringent" EPA motorcycle requirements. Anyone have the facts?

Europe. All export bikes will have to pass.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 AM
BlackhawkDriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooth
Say what you will. bitch complain etc....if HD makes watercooled engines they will sell......1) because its a harley and 2) What else you going to buy? A space ship Victory?
Not me i'll just hang on to mine until the engine blows up then i'll get a new engine. There's harleys from the early 1900's still runnin so my '11 should be fine, and when I get the itch to move up to a bigger one I'm sure the old air cooled ones will be coming down in price as the "Got to have it new" crowd moves in.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Show me the numbers proving that a water cooled bike sitting in traffic is significantly cooler than a Harley.
I didn't make that claim.

I'll quote myself so people can see what I actually said:

Originally Posted by Scissors
Originally Posted by MoCoLoco
I can assure you that liquid cooled engines overheat too, and it's not just a result of poor maintenance. You CAN push an engine to the point where the cooling system cannot compensate.
Sitting in traffic, however, will not push the engine to that point, which is what was being brought up. I don't think anyone here was talking about extreme racing conditions.
I clearly addressed pushing an engine to the point of overheating. That's it.

Mine was not. If you visit metric bikes forums, you'll see that the owners roast on their bike when they don't move, the same way we do.
To an extent. I'll make the claim you accused me of now: 220 degrees is still hot. But it's not as hot as 300 degrees. Either way, it's uncomfortable. How hot the rider perceives it to be depends upon a number of factors; including exhaust pipe location and design, fuel tank placement and material construction, rider position, engine configuration, engine placement, etc.

Water-cooled cruisers have the benefit of never overheating (barring outright system failure). All you need is a strong enough alternator to maintain charge at idle while running the cooling fan, which water-cooled cruisers have but water-cooled sportbikes sometimes don't.

That said, both my Harley and my Ducati Monster 1100 are air-cooled, but that's because I prefer it. But I don't have to be blind to the advantages of water cooling.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
I was stuck in traffic behind a Saturn in Sturgis one time when its radiator did an "Old Faithful", spewing coolant all over the road in front of me... hardly "extreme racing conditions". I also see cars overheated up in the mountains all the time.
That's called "system failure", which could be due to a flaw or poor maintenance.

I've seen a Harley puke oil, so does that mean oil coolers are useless?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
That's called "system failure", which could be due to a flaw or poor maintenance.
...and that would never happen on a water cooled Harley.