Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for Russell Day Long owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM
NoDeal
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question for Russell Day Long owners

Hello all. I intend to purchase a RDL for my '09 ultra. I would love to ride in and get the seat made, but being from Michigan I don't have the time this summer to ride to California.

My question is, how many of you have had the seat built via internet/phone order, supported by email description and photos?

Did the seat come back perfect or need to be reworked? (I understand they have great service)

How specific were you when giving a description on concerns with your current seat? My problem is I hate the stick seat, but difficult to describe why. I had 65000 miles on a mustang seat on my old bike and loved it. I'm nervous about having a seat custom built and not being there.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:20 PM
NoDeal
Tourer

Anyone?

Old 07-05-2011, 05:32 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, I'm a big guy, 6'3", 285+ with long legs. I've tried every seat out there. Stock seats suck, too close and very uncomfortable. Tallboy seat - much better seating position, but butt burn like hell. Had a local guy do a foam upgrade and gel pad; better, but a long ways from acceptable.

Next I tried Corbin. Called them and requested they make me a Tallboy seat. Getting closer, but I still could not ride 500 miles in a day without serious pain.

I finally contacted Russell. Read every post and article I could find and called them several times. I sent pictures of me and my wife sitting on a Tallboy seat, and asked them to do their magic.

Got it back, and it's perfect! I needed no mods at all. The very best seat by far of anything I've tried. I can do two weeks on the road in the summer heat with 12 hours a day in the saddle, and no problem, but I also recommend compression shorts.

RDL are expensive, and there's a long lead time. But if I ever trade bikes again, it will be my first upgrade.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Tooth
Cruiser

I have a RDL on my Triumph Trophy 1200....I sent the pictures and measurements and my "desires" as prescribed. I got the seat back and it was better than stock as it had the "boys" comming out my belt buckle after some cornering. It was not magically as everyone seems to rave. I sent the seat back a year later and had them modify the back edge. No charge but shipping. Its ok....not great. The seat is hard in my estimation. It reminds me of people who say BMW or MB's seats are ergonomically designed.....BS...I'll take a caddy seat for my trip. I have also had a seat made by Rick Meyer on a drive in....I actually had to go back and have him alter that seat a month later.
Moral of the story.....I dont know and no one can give you the answer. RDL is a nice seat.....but I dont think Ill go thru the hassles again. If you do mail order I would be very specific about what you want. photos, mark on your seat what bothers you. Chances are they will come up big for you.
THis is not going to help you make your decision but I am just giving you a different perspective. I am in the market for a new seat for my Ultra and RDL is not on my list.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
First of all, I'm a big guy, 6'3", 285+ with long legs. I've tried every seat out there. Stock seats suck, too close and very uncomfortable. Tallboy seat - much better seating position, but butt burn like hell. Had a local guy do a foam upgrade and gel pad; better, but a long ways from acceptable.

Next I tried Corbin. Called them and requested they make me a Tallboy seat. Getting closer, but I still could not ride 500 miles in a day without serious pain.

I finally contacted Russell. Read every post and article I could find and called them several times. I sent pictures of me and my wife sitting on a Tallboy seat, and asked them to do their magic.

Got it back, and it's perfect! I needed no mods at all. The very best seat by far of anything I've tried. I can do two weeks on the road in the summer heat with 12 hours a day in the saddle, and no problem, but I also recommend compression shorts.

RDL are expensive, and there's a long lead time. But if I ever trade bikes again, it will be my first upgrade.

Did you have them rework the tallboy seat pan or some other seat pan? I've though about sending my tallboy in but it is fiberglass and I'm not sure if I need a stronger seat pan.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 PM
NoDeal
Tourer

Don't think it will matter since they build the seat to the customer's size, but I am 5'10" and 180#

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM
hondo1
Tourer

When I was into long distance riding, (130,000 miles from 03/1998 to 08/2002) I had a RDL and thought it was the best seat in the world. On my trip to Alaska in summer 2000 did 825 miles on day 1 and 900 miles on day 2 with no problems at all. For long distance riding I personally think there is no better seat.

Ordered by mail from Houston with pictures, order form and couple of phone calls and it came in needing nothing but to be ridden and that I did accomplish.

Good luck.

Big Red

Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had several RDL's over the years. My current seat was on my '09 Ultra and I swapped it to my '11 RGU when I made the switch. I did have to send the Ultra seat back twice to get it right. On all of the other seats I've had from them they have been great right out of the box. On the adjustments they were good to deal with and returned phone calls. I absolutely LOVE my RDL seat.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first saddle with them was for my 03 road king and I did send in the pictures and stock seat for them to rebuild. It was great, but needed tweaking. The next year my wife and I rode there and they remade the saddle at no charge. Great customer service.
Since you cannot ride there this year ask them if you need the saddle adjusted can you ride there the next year for that.
The hardest part of my trade for my Road Glide was not being able to keep that saddle since they changed the mounts in 09.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Theakerr
Tourer

Have one on my Kawasaki Concours. Looks butt ugly but it works. When I ordered it, I had to supply a couple of pictures, my weight and height.

Quick Reply: question for Russell Day Long owners