Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) bike and question on trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

out of the three holes, the final drive has the lease demand on oil, the primary has some demand, and of course the engine the most demand. It's not unusual for the final dive fluid to look new, the primary to look tea colored and the engine oil to look like coffee. BUT, dont loose any sleep of differences in motor oil grades and grearbox oil grades. Gearbox oil 75/110 and engine grade 10w40 have the same viscosity as well as 20W50 and 90/140 have the same viscosity. They just use different grading tables. see attached

Attached Thumbnails New (to me) bike and question on trans fluid-visc.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Never seen any clear lube other than KY jelly. Maybe you got screwed... hope your *** doesnt hurt.

On a more serious note, put some Bel Ray Gear Saver, Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline with Shockproof in it for a quieter and smoother tranny.
YOu should visit your local pharmacy once in a while.....there are much better clear stuff than K-Y Jelly. I always found that to get a little too sticky when overworked, IMHO.

But on the serious note, I ran Redline Shockproof in my 5-speed TC88 and promptly blew out a shifter shaft seal. I'm not saying the Redline caused it but I've put on 12K miles since running Syn3 with no problems. The gearbox is smooth as silk, I can find neutral blindfolded, with three pairs of hunting socks under my steel toed engineer boot. No problem. And honestly when running the Shockproof, although it looked like strawberry yogurt going in, it really didn't provide any smoother shifting than what I have now with the SYN3. I am not promoting SYN3 here, just describing my personal experience.
As Lost1 said, it may have a clear look on the dipstick even though it pours with a slight amber. I will pickup a bottle of it soon and have a look for myself. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Never seen any clear lube other than KY jelly. Maybe you got screwed... hope your *** doesnt hurt.

On a more serious note, put some Bel Ray Gear Saver, Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline with Shockproof in it for a quieter and smoother tranny.
YOu should visit your local pharmacy once in a while.....there are much better clear stuff than K-Y Jelly. I always found that to get a little too sticky when overworked, IMHO.

But on the serious note, I ran Redline Shockproof in my 5-speed TC88 and promptly blew out a shifter shaft seal. I'm not saying the Redline caused it but I've put on 12K miles since running Syn3 with no problems. The gearbox is smooth as silk, I can find neutral blindfolded, with three pairs of hunting socks under my steel toed engineer boot. No problem. And honestly when running the Shockproof, although it looked like strawberry yogurt going in, it really didn't provide any smoother shifting than what I have now with the SYN3. I am not promoting SYN3 here, just describing my personal experience.
As Lost1 said, it may have a clear look on the dipstick even though it pours with a slight amber. I will pickup a bottle of it soon and have a look for myself. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Syn3 will look clear on the chrome-plated trans dip stick. I ran it for over 50K miles in my '04 RK with no problem. I'm running Formula+ in the trans and primary now but I'm getting more gear whine in 3rd and 4th gears so I may switch to Mobil1 10w40, 20w50 or Bel Ray Gear Saver. I don't want to run hypoid lube in the trans. Formula+ works well in the primary but I'm occasionally getting plate-stick when the clutch is cold. On the other hand, I'm getting total clutch disengagement when everything's warmed up. I can walk the bike backwards in gear with the clutch disengaged with virtually no resistance. FWIW

Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I switched from Formula + and now use Syn 3 in all three holes and I'm pretty sure this is what Harley now recommends (at least the four local dealers do). Works for me.