Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crack in chrome bassani megaphone

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011 | 08:22 PM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member
Default crack in chrome bassani megaphone

First of April I got Bassani Megaphone slip-ons for my new RK. I waited until I had over 2000 miles on my new bike then installed them about 3 weeks ago. I have since put just over 1000 miles on them. My bike is completely stock with the cat.
Last night I was cleaning her up and I noticed on the right side, just before the muffler, the chrome between the weld and the heat shield was turning yellow. I looked at the left side and that one was OK. But when I got down closer I seen a crack in the chrome on the muffler it's self, just before the weld. I then went back over to the right side and that one has a crack too. The crack's are about 2" long on both mufflers.
2 of the guys I ride with have the same ones and both of them have over
20 000 miles on there's with no problems. Still look like new.
I got them from Dennis Kirk, same place they got there's from.
I just ordered a PCV and air kit from Fuel-Moto but now I will have to take the Bassani off and send them back.
I'm going to call DK first thing Tuesday and find out what they will do about this.
Has any one else had a problem with the chrome on Bassani products?
I will up-date Tuesday night.

Old 07-03-2011 | 08:32 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

ran Bassani true duals and the Road Rage II , no issues with either

Old 07-04-2011 | 07:14 AM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

Up-Date
I removed them last night from my bike and put the stock back on. The cracking in the chrome is all the way around the mufflers.
I will see if I can get my Son to stop buy and put up a pic. Going for a ride with the guys in a hour...I will up-date.

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:27 PM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

Up- date
I called DK today, They won't do anything because I had them installed on my bike. I called Bassani and Kurt said to e-mail a pic and a copy of my order then he will send me a call tag to cover the shipping to send them back for a new set.
He has no idea why they would crack on the muffler 1/4" before the weld. But if they take care of this and the new set works, then I will chalk it up to bad luck. Kurt was nice on the phone and talked like he will take care of this.
I called Brain at Fuel-Moto and had him put my order for my PCV and SE air kit on hold until I'm 100% sure Bassani comes though. May take some time because I need to get my Son to stop by and send the info to Bassani. SUCK's that I'm so dumb on a computer... I will up-date.

Old 07-18-2011 | 05:58 PM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

New up-date
late on 7/5 my Son sent Bassani pics and they did not come out good but it was the best we could do at night. On 7/7 Thursday [they are closed on Fridays] I got a e-mail that said I was just looking at the weld. So I called Kurt and told him it's not the weld the weld looks fine, the crack is in the chrome part of the muffler about 3/8" before the weld. He wanted to arguer so he put the owner Darrell on the phone. After a long talk the owner he decided to send me a new set with tracking numbers and a return tag. I will need to take my end caps off and put them on the new set and then send the old ones back.
I was happy with that. He said Kurt will take care of it.
Now it's been 11 days and nothing has been done yet. I have been calling Kurt every other day since the 7th. Last Wednesday 7/13 he said they should go out that day, they didn't.
So I call again on Thursday the 14th and this time he promised they will be sent by the end of the day, they didn't.
Now today he was out sick so the Lady answers the phone looked in to it for me and said I'm not even on there computers so she said give me your phone number and I will have some one call you back, they didn't.
So tomorrow I will call Kurt for about the 8th time and try to find out why nothing is happening.
I got the feeling they are hoping I will give up, but I don't want to reinstall the mufflers with all them cracks in them. If this Darrell really is the owner and told me he would send me new ones you would think it's true.
I will up-date after tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2011 | 01:33 PM
GPHDXLC
|
Grand HDF Member

New up-date, and next to the last one I hope.
This morning the lady I talked to yesterday took care of this and my new mufflers was shipped out, estimated delivery this Friday 22nd... Thank God.