Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed swing arm now the belt is rubbing??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:16 AM
bigredfireguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation changed swing arm now the belt is rubbing??????

i thought maybe i could adjust it out but it is rubbing quite a bit. is there any way i could have the motor misaligned and could be torquing it wrong? if so how to make sure i align it back? any help would be great. the swing arm broke at the axle is why i had to replace it. the one used to replace it was a take off for trike conversion. bike is 00 RKC

Old 07-03-2011, 12:07 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rubbing could be cuased by a tilt alignment problem. there are washers on the outside of the frame under the bolt head and under the nut that have lobes, you use the lobes to adjust the tilt of the wheels, basiclly the axle ends can be moved forward or back wards in dependently. having said that, theres also washers that move the wheel from side to side that go in between the wheel and frame. having said that, if you don't have the correct washers to take up the gape in you swing arm and wheels you could cause alignment problems by over tourquing your axle which would compress your swing arms......I think this is something you should check for since you already had a cracked swing arm....you could have washers and spaces missing.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:05 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

It would be good if you included the PN of the swing arm you replaced it with or a photo. If your bike received a swing arm from anything later than a 2001 than you must change the bushings as the pivot shaft is 5/8" and the bearings (if in fact the swing arm is 2002 ~ current) in a 2002~current is 3/4". It is very hard to cover all scenarios when accurate information is not provided by the OP. Kind of like why is my battery shorting out?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

I see what FastHarley's saying, but the '00 rear axle is 3/4" and I believe that they went to 1" in '02. He'd see that upon install.

This rubbing isn't just when backing up is it?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:25 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's refering to the swingarm pivot shaft, not the axle. I know some guys that have drilled out the case to accept the larger pivot shaft. I upgraded an 01 with a late model swingarm, but I used the sta-bo kit. it allows you to use the 5/8 pivot shaft with a 3/4 swingarm. I also upgraded to the 1 1/8 pulley and belt at the same time. I had no problems. The guy i sold it to is still riding it, with no complications.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks reh13, I'll read it more closely next time, and thanks for the reference to the Sta-bo kit. My '00 has 91,000 and I watch for cracks!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Fix

Stiggy If you R&R the cleve blocks when they are worn out there is nothing wrong with your swing arm. You must install a set of internal axle adjusters that are much larger than the bigger (as in) made not OEM OD external axle spacers to support the side load and prevent hollow oblong swing arm from crushing. We use to make this solution but there is just not enough of them around to justify the investment in stock.

When we made the upgraded bushings to reduce the rear steer on earlier FL's and FXR's it was not that far of a jump to make the adapter bushings when the 2002'c came out with the upgraded swing arms. Much more ridged & stable.

When you change the bushings out you also stiffen up the rear tracking.

Last edited by FastHarley; 07-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you FastHarley!

Just checked out your website and I'll send some questions via your contact info.

Have a good Holiday!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

We haven't had any feedback from the OP yet. I installed a 2007 swingarm etc in my 1990 bike. I changed to the later narrow belt at the same time and had no problems. We need more info before we can help further.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:11 PM
bigredfireguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure of the p/n as im at work and its at home. i knew all the info on pivot shaft size and made sure it was the correct size. side by side compared exact same. as far as washers on the axle there is one spacer no washers on mine. ive put back every thing the way it came off not sure if the rubber mounts that the floor board mount lines up can be adjusted differently or not but i have the pin lined up in the whole. seems to me that some how maybe the motor may be shifted

Quick Reply: changed swing arm now the belt is rubbing??????