Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short cut to Little Chute, WI (Fuel Moto)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011 | 09:52 PM
joe98
|
Road Captain
Default Short cut to Little Chute, WI (Fuel Moto)

Well every time I come on to this forum and keep reading about the great work that Jamie and his team have done for several members here, I just wanna hop and the bike and get down there asap. My biggest issue is the distance....roughly 1,000 miles plus, give or take. I just notice on the map of Michigan that there is a ferry crossing at Lucington that goes to Manitowoc. Sorry if I spelled wrong. I would be coming from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Initially, I was thinking of crossing over at Port Huron, MI ; and then continue through I 69 to I 94 and then north on I 94 again eventuall to Green Bay, WI. I don't see Little Chute on the map, but when I Yahoo mapped it, stated Appleton ? if that makes any sense. Well, just wondering if anyone is really familiar with the area, and if they can tell me of a better route, or if taking the ferry over to Manitowoc,WI would save me alot of time. I also considered riding up to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. This is just on the other side of the border at Sault Ste. Marie, Canada. I can get there by dinner time, easily from my home, if leaving in morning. I would then continue through the upper pennisula,MI and take US-141 to Green Bay, WI. Guys really sorry for the long post, I'm sure your eyes must be tearing...lol. and my hands are numb. Well, thanks for all of the help. Another question: Even though Jamie breaks in the new build properly on the dyno; what about the ride home ? Should the oil be changed at 500 miles ? or 1,000 miles ? and constant freeway speed ? Thanks alot fellas...

Old 07-02-2011 | 11:06 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior

The Ferry would save you about half the mileage I believe but, I think it's quite a pricey ride. Check the Ferry price before you plan on using it and then, if you can afford it, cross over at Sault Ste Marie and ride through Michigan and down to the Ferry.

IMHO, Wisconsin is kind of boring to ride through but Michigan is beautiful. I rode the circle tour of Lake Michigan last summer and that was my experience.

Old 07-02-2011 | 11:38 PM
scoobs
Tourer

The info about the ludington/manitowoc ferry is here. http://ssbadger.com/content.aspx?Pag...dule&field=123

Yeah , not exactly cheap but it may make for a nice diversion in a long trip. Plus you dont have to visit the loop around chicago....and the tolls there.

Little Chute is a village/suburb of Appleton so thats where the two overlap. Same place. North side of town, few miles further to the west you will find Appleton Harley if you wanna go there as well to kill some time.

The route you choose is all yours...and if you dont see something interesting in WI, well it just means you wern't paying attention.

Post up a general route once you decide, some of us locals can tell ya some of the better ins and outs....

Last edited by scoobs; 07-02-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added a note.
Old 07-03-2011 | 10:12 AM
DooZ
Cruiser

If the mileage is similar I would suggest coming in from the Sault. Anything you can do to stay out of Chicago the better, unless you like traffic and tolls. Also the run along the northside of Green Bay in the U.P. isn't bad.

Old 07-03-2011 | 10:33 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

the manitawoc ferry is pretty slow there is also a fast ferry into milwaukee, u would have to check into the price difference.

Old 07-03-2011 | 10:48 AM
ACDavis
Advanced

There is a quicker ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee: http://www.lake-express.com/
We always found it to be expensive. If you ride, I'd go thru the U.P. and then follow Lake Michigan around. My cousins just did it 2-weeks ago (from Bay City, Michigan). The ride thru Northern Michigan and the U.P. are great.

Old 07-03-2011 | 10:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scoobs
The info about the ludington/manitowoc ferry is here. http://ssbadger.com/content.aspx?Pag...dule&field=123

Yeah , not exactly cheap but it may make for a nice diversion in a long trip. Plus you dont have to visit the loop around chicago....and the tolls there.

wow, that is pricey, $70 one way, $38 for the bike, and $10 for 'security fee'.... i guess it would depend on how much time it saved, and how much the tolls were if it would be worth it.

Old 07-03-2011 | 07:27 PM
joe98
|
Road Captain

Guys, thanks for your replies...the help/advice is always appreciated. I have a buddy that did the ride around the U.P. in MI, and yes he said it was great. I totally agree with what o.p. said about the Chicago area, and avoiding it if I could. Last thing I want to do is get stuck in rush hour traffic sitting on my toaster oven...lol and the tolls yeah. Well, the more I think about it, the more sense the back way seems better. Coming in from Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I went across the Mackinac bridge several years ago, found that to be pretty awesome, and if I remember correctly the roads were very lightly travelled. Thanks to all...just gotta see about work schedule and how to do it so I'm not under the gun.

Old 07-03-2011 | 08:31 PM
hdmg
Cruiser

Joe I live in the Toronto area and was thinking of the same thing.
I please keep us updated on how you make out.
My concern is the same as your original question. 1000 mile trip home on the highway night not be the best way to break in a new engine. Additionally, I think I would look for a dealer or place to get an oil change half way home.

Old 07-05-2011 | 08:56 PM
joe98
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hdmg
Joe I live in the Toronto area and was thinking of the same thing.
I please keep us updated on how you make out.
My concern is the same as your original question. 1000 mile trip home on the highway night not be the best way to break in a new engine. Additionally, I think I would look for a dealer or place to get an oil change half way home.
I'm gonna call Jamie up and have a discussion with him, and see what he thinks. I have one more week holidays in Sept, and I enjoy riding in cooler weather more. I definitely think that riding through northern Ontario up to Sault Ste. Marie would be the better way to go. You would avoid the Chicago, IL. area all together. Also, the Sault crossing into the states isn't as busy as the southern Ontario crossings. Oh well, we'll see...

Quick Reply: Short cut to Little Chute, WI (Fuel Moto)