Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 HK Radio took a crap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 HK Radio took a crap!!!

Problem started about 4 days ago...
While riding & listening to music I suddenly lost all sound to the speakers. The radio was still on & was still operating as normal...just no sound to the speakers. So, I turned the radio off then back on & had sound again. Well, this would happen about every 15 to 20 mins, at any volume & in any mode (AM, FM, CD, WB, AUX). Then it started happening every 5 min, then 2 min then about every min. I put the bike away until I could check it out.

Before I called my dealership to explain the problem, I turned the radio on & no sound at all! Called them up & they said it sounded like the radio went bad. It's a known problem, according to them. So, now I have to bring it in to be tested & most likely replaced under warranty.

My buddy just told me that he had his 2010 HK cut out on him yesterday, too! Anyone else have this happen to them?

BTW, I just ordered a Sony, bluetooth, head unit, 4 Channel AMP & 6.5" speakers...I figure I might as well upgrade now

Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Sure sounds like those HD "High Dollar radios" have had a lot of problems..There are lot,s of threads about them crapping out lately.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

Exact same thing happened to my 09 Street Glide. Dealer replaced the radio under warranty. It was my second radio replaced, so I'm now on my third unit.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

For those of you who are out of warranty, send the head unit to Iron Cross Audio. For $250 they'll fix the radio, apparently regardless of the failure involved. Also, if you source music from a GPS or other MP3 player, have them install a rear AUX connector ($40), which keeps you from running the cable into the front that's exposed to the elements. If you own or plan on buying an amp with low-level inputs, have them also install low-level-output connectors ($55).

HD has some sort of refurb program for ~$300, but I would use Iron Cross Audio, as they have a good reputation for competent work. They also do some additional upgrades during the repair process to increase durability.

Before you blame the head unit, do some troubleshooting first. If you have an aftermarket amp, the problem could be with it, the connectors, wiring, or speakers. I thought my head unit was losing its right channel, but some checking revealed the problem to be with my aftermarket amp.

Last edited by iclick; 07-02-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 PM
thecort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
For those of you who are out of warranty, send the head unit to Iron Cross Audio. For $250 they'll fix the radio, apparently regardless of the failure involved. Also, if you source music from a GPS or other MP3 player, have them install a rear AUX connector ($40), which keeps you from running the cable into the front that's exposed to the elements. If you own or plan on buying an amp with low-level inputs, have them also install low-level-output connectors ($55).

HD has some sort of refurb program for ~$300, but I would use Iron Cross Audio, as they have a good reputation for competent work. They also do some additional upgrades during the repair process to increase durability.

Before you blame the head unit, do some troubleshooting first. If you have an aftermarket amp, the problem could be with it, the connectors, wiring, or speakers. I thought my head unit was losing its right channel, but some checking revealed the problem to be with my aftermarket amp.
I do not have an amp installed from the radio to the speakers. I thought about Iron Cross but I figured let HD cover it under the warranty, like you said.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:45 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did not crap out, but I upgraded to a Sony with the iPod tray. Much easier than mounting it on the bars

Old 07-02-2011, 01:36 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Mine did not crap out, but I upgraded to a Sony with the iPod tray. Much easier than mounting it on the bars

I was thinking of that does it work well? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:56 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fastbagger
I was thinking of that does it work well? Thanks.
The only problem I have is that it is hard to see in the sunlight. Other than that it I really like the way my iPod, and iPhone fits in there. Of course I listen to that more than anything, but if you like cd's then its not the radio for you. It does not have a cd player.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:07 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I would burn all my cd's to my ipod!!!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

they should **** can all HK radios. i had a 09 SG and had to replace the radio 4 times yes no bullshit 4 times. bought a 2011 RG and took that radio and installed a alpine along with alpine speakers. no more issues. HK sucks.

Quick Reply: 2010 HK Radio took a crap!!!