Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I waste my money..??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 AM
FXDFan
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Did I waste my money..??

Just installed the ARC mpak4 setup into the SG... And while the sound is louder, the"sound" is just as hollow as the stock HK head unit driving the set of HogTunes 5.25" speakers.
The ARC amp seems to have plenty of power, and to be fair still playing with the setup of amp, but am very close to the dealers "hot" setup.
What I'm wondering is did I waste my $$ on getting the kit (and ARC's 6.5" speakers) vs. getting their amp and a set of some other speakers?
No matter what it seems I have to crank the bass way down to get the volume necessary to hear it somewhat clearly... Maybe I had unreal expectations?
Or does anyone have an amp setup they'd like to share?
Thanks and enjoy the holiday weekend on both sides of the border !!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:50 AM
jrike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend of mine bought the biketronics setup with hertz 6.5 speakers and 4 channel amp.sounds awsome

Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Chiadrum
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I installed the MPAK5 and I have been very happy.Installing the crossover units and tweeters did make a huge difference,I ran it for a week without it.
That being said every thread and ARC themselves recommended setting the amp to "high" not "full" power.Sounded like crap that way.I slid that dip switch up a notch and the whole system came alive.
My music is all digital so the quality of the files varies wildly but the right tune on that system sounds crystal clear at 75mph.
Maybe you can get ARC to send you the crossover and tweeters.Adds a lot of depth and detail to the system.I think it was only 40 or 50 bux more.Folks do seem to recommend the Hertz speakers however.I am sticking with what I have right now.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bass take more power at higher volumes. if you get distortion to the point that turning down the bass helps, them you need either more power or more efficient speakers. A subwoofer with a passive crossover for all the speakers will help.