Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 440’s Compared to Harley’s OEM Air Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,874 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by dnitram
Being vertically challenged with a 29” inseam, I bought a set of 12” 440’s Heavy Duty Progressive shocks and they seemed to ride awfully rough (I was tipping 450 pounds then). Have since lost half of that weight and recently bought a ’11 RKC, which came with 13” eye to eye HD air shocks standard. Got a used set of 12” HD’s off a SG and still have a nice smooth ride and that extra inch I needed. Just took the 12” HD Progressives off and sent them back to have Progressive install the Regular springs (Cheap at $35). Tried them as a Heavy Duty and they darn near rattled my teeth out! What a harsh ride! Just wondering what I might expect in the way of ride characteristics and comfort when I get them back??
With the stiffer heavy duty springs, you aren't heavy enough (now) to set the proper amount of sag, even with the preload loosened all the way. With too heavy of a spring, you're not allowing the shock to do its job. Compression and rebound damping is accomplished with the piston inside the nitrogen/oil separated shock. With this in mind, I'm not surprised by your rough ride experience.

The only thing the regular springs are going to allow you to do is set the proper amount of total sag on your bike, and that's it. After you've done that, you're stuck with the compression and rebound damping that Progressive gives you with the 440 shock. There are no adjustments.

I've had the stock air shocks on my Street Glide (12"), and they were total junk. I went to a Progressive 440 13" (regular spring) next, and it was an improved ride, but still not what I was looking for. I now have Ohlins 3-3s on my Street Glide, and I'm very happy with their performance. They have adjustable length, adjustable preload, and a sweeper valve for adjusting compression and rebound damping. Night and day difference (read: improvement) over the Progressives, and not even comparable to the stock air shock garbage.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
I've had the stock air shocks on my Street Glide (12"), and they were total junk. I went to a Progressive 440 13" (regular spring) next, and it was an improved ride, but still not what I was looking for. I now have Ohlins 3-3s on my Street Glide, and I'm very happy with their performance. [snip] Night and day difference (read: improvement) over the Progressives, and not even comparable to the stock air shock garbage.
Yep, my story is very similar. Went from 12" stock SG shocks, which were a small step above a hard-tail chassis, to Progressive 440 12½" with the standard springs. This was better, but the lack of rebound control and finicky preload tuning led me to seek greener pastures. I then moved to the Ohlins #2-3, which are 13¼" shocks, even taller than stock 13" EG items. These effectively eliminated the famous SG slammed look, but as smooth as these shocks ride you can have the slammed look, as I'm not going to be buying shocks again. These will go from bike to bike as long as they'll fit.

I would just buy a good set of shocks and be done with it, as moving from one brand to another to find perfection isn't cost-effective. BTW, mention HDForums when buying Ohlins from Motorcycle Metal, as he has traditionally given us a very good discount.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I'm picking up on here is that I need to either begin with about 4 turns (leave the bags off) go try it and see what changes, it any, I need to make. Ohlins? Think I'm going to make do with what I have and spend those bucks somewhere else (Just NEVER again tell my wife I'd done with add-ons!!).

Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Redcrow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I have had 6 back surgeries so i'm looking to get the most comfortable ride possible on an 09 SG! Only want to do this once. Also I don't want to have to adjust every time I ride. As a famous moron used to say set it, and forget it!!!!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 PM
DISTURBEDCUSTOM
Novice

ANY ONE LOOKING FOR A SET OF Progressive 430’s BLACK AND CONTRAST CUT 13" LET ME KNOW I HAVE A SET I JUST TOOK OFF MY STREET GLIDE THAY ARE IN LIKE NEW CONDITION I PUT THE
Progressive 940 ON SORRY FOR THE TYPO

Last edited by DISTURBEDCUSTOM; 07-05-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DISTURBEDCUSTOM
ANY ONE LOOKING FOR A SET OF Progressive 440’s LET ME KNOW I HAVE A SET I JUST TOOK OFF MY STREET GLIDE THAY ARE IN LIKE NEW CONDITION I PUT THE
Progressive 940 ON
what length and how much

Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

What I'm picking up on here is that I need to either begin with about 4 turns (leave the bags off) go try it and see what changes, it any, I need to make.
Not trying to be a wise *** here, but do you know what you're doing? Do you know how to set the sag on your rear suspension?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Set sag height on Progressives

2010 Road Glide
Progressive 440 11"

Progressive Customer Service said to establish unloaded sag height by measuring from the top shock bushing vertically to the ground (x inches) with the bike upright off the kickstand.

Then load up the bike as to your expected riding condition, whether it just be just you solo, or with all luggage loaded and passenger and you seated. Have someone measure again (y inches)

The adjustable spring should be set so the difference is 3/4" less when loaded.

Hope this helps. Ride Safe.

Last edited by doctorharrison; 07-06-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
dnitram
Road Master

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Not trying to be a wise *** here, but do you know what you're doing? Do you know how to set the sag on your rear suspension?
No I don't but my *** knows what it likes. I'll take whatever amount of time it takes and what ever procedure Justin Barber (Progressive Head Tech) recommends. At the end of the day, I'll have it right and my *** will be happy!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

No I don't but my *** knows what it likes. I'll take whatever amount of time it takes and what ever procedure Justin Barber (Progressive Head Tech) recommends. At the end of the day, I'll have it right and my *** will be happy!
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Progressive 440’s Compared to Harley’s OEM Air Shocks?